Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i got ahold of the shop that i usually go to everything for up at our cabin and im sending out my front rear shock and the remote limiter by the handlebars to get it rebuilt i've never removed it before is it possible to get it out without droping down the skid ??
anyone thats done this before i'd really love to hear from you . this is the last of my issuse that needed straightened out , im ready to ride ... ill post pics soon ... for being an older sled ( 99 440 sp ) its coming along beautifully :super_happy:
thanks
tom

ps. thankyou to everyone thats been giving me the tips i need to get my ride back in new condition !

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Not sure if it's possible or not, but it would be a real challenge. I'd take out the skid and see what else you might find that needs fixing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Jan 9 2007, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not sure if it's possible or not, but it would be a real challenge. I'd take out the skid and see what else you might find that needs fixing.[/b]
I could imagine the bottom attachment will be all but impossible to get apart. I just did my rear shock and carriage links without dropping the suspension. That was still a pain in the @$$ and it is 10 times more accesable than the front shock is. Probably didn't save any time and only caused aditional frustration trying to get the whole idler assembly back in. Ended up using a bottle jack in the middle of the front arm to spead the rails apart enough so it would go back in.
When I was in there, I also found on my front shock, the top nut had come off but luckily the bolt was still in possition. It was a major pain trying to get both hands up there with two wrenches to get that nut back on. I could have used a second person to save me several knuckle bustings and keep the neighbor kids from learning some new creative french words. bang your head

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
IMO I still think the front skid shot wouldnt be that bad to do with two people. I also think the back one would be harder as you have to take more things off to get room to get the shock off... Only way to find out, get some wrenches and have at it. Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McCready6569 @ Jan 9 2007, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IMO I still think the front skid shot wouldnt be that bad to do with two people. I also think the back one would be harder as you have to take more things off to get room to get the shock off... Only way to find out, get some wrenches and have at it. Good luck[/b]
Getting the rear apart wasn't bad. It took a little persuasion to get the Idler assembly around all of the obstacles to slide it out. It sure would make it easy if they designed it so you could actually get the bottom pivot botl out past the idler wheels without pulling the whole assembly.
Putting it back in was the pain. Then to top it off, after I got it in place and the axle bolt back on, I realized I put it in with the shock on the wrong side of the arm. Had to compress the shock all the way in with elbow grease while I tied it in place with some big @$$ cable ties. Then I could swing it up over the arm pivot. It's a good bicep workout pushing a new Fox shock all the way in about 6 times.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F1BADUDE @ Jan 9 2007, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McCready6569 @ Jan 9 2007, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMO I still think the front skid shot wouldnt be that bad to do with two people. I also think the back one would be harder as you have to take more things off to get room to get the shock off... Only way to find out, get some wrenches and have at it. Good luck[/b]
Getting the rear apart wasn't bad. It took a little persuasion to get the Idler assembly around all of the obstacles to slide it out. It sure would make it easy if they designed it so you could actually get the bottom pivot botl out past the idler wheels without pulling the whole assembly.
Putting it back in was the pain. Then to top it off, after I got it in place and the axle bolt back on, I realized I put it in with the shock on the wrong side of the arm. Had to compress the shock all the way in with elbow grease while I tied it in place with some big @$$ cable ties. Then I could swing it up over the arm pivot. It's a good bicep workout pushing a new Fox shock all the way in about 6 times.
[/b][/quote]

Trust me I know, I have my skid out a few times since summer, and just got done not to long ago completely dissassembling the whole rear skid, sent shocks out to get rebuilt/revalved, sandblasted everything except rails, polished rails with dremel, repainted and cleared everything reassembled everything and put back in... it was alot of work but its worth it... lots of headaches too. once again good luck Blackcat083 and let us know how it goes

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I've had my front and rear shock out without taking out the skid. I will say this though, if I have to get them out again I will take the skid out just because it was a PIA to do it that way. And laying on the cold concrete floor is not good for your shoulder. Take my advise and just remove the skid. You'll be happier.

Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill definately let you all know how it goes , if things go well at work i hope to have it out early tomorow afternoon and there will be a post on here either letting you all know of my success or me needing some help of some sort haha. if anyone lives in central pa and wants to come drop this skid for me i'll pay you , but either way my goal is to have that shock out to ups asap without doing any damage to myself or the sled !

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Blackcat you really dont need to pay anyone, dropping the skid is easy, just four bolts and loosening the track. Just use a ratchet strap to compress it when putting it back in and jack up the ass end, and get a buddy to help you. Last winter was the first year I owned a sled and the 3rd week I owned it I took the skid out to get the shocks rebuilt... not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kev @ Jan 9 2007, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not sure if it's possible or not, but it would be a real challenge. I'd take out the skid and see what else you might find that needs fixing.[/b]
Considering the quality of AC's bearings :turd: pulling your skid is a great idea.
I pull mine annually and have yet to not find one or more dry bearings. So common is it that I buy them in bulk and keep inventory at all times now. Good time to change that pesky speedo drive side driveshaft bearing as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
almost forgot that i posted this way back when , i put the new clicker on the front arm on with the retainer off so the shock could be compressed with just my arms and it was pretty easy to do . you just had to take the front wheels off of the skid so you could get to the bottom axel of the shock. i'd say it was about an hour round trip and im finally rid of that pesky arm adjuster that sits up by the handlesbars. shes way easier to tune now and im happy with how everything came out in the end :chug:
thanks everyone
tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts