Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting front susp powdercoated and wondering how other ppl have prevented the grease from ruining the paint when they bake them?? or if it doesnt wreck it at all when it oozes out??

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You'll have a tough time getting it out unless you are really good at grinding the welds off to disassemble them. We soaked them for days in parts cleaner and the powdercoating was still contaminated and did not adhere. We blast and paint the spindles, blast and powdercoat the arms.

·
Registered
710 Posts
x2 on the heat... they dont come apart unless you do what is stated above but thats a pain in the ass.. i had mine done and didnt worry too much about the coating getting messed up.

ends up that it actually broke off my zerks and oozed out of that so the guy caught it happening and just redid them for free.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you don't sandblast most shops will bake the old paint off this way the shop knows they are clean of dirt and grease. I had it done.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I removed the grease zerk, hooked my parts cleaner pump to the port using some fitting and adapters from the hardware store, turned it on and then just kept rotating the spindle. Once I thought I had it all out of the 2 spindles, I changed the solvent in the cleaning tank and did it again. Once painted or powder coated, just re-install the zerk and shoot some new grease in.

·
Registered
462 Posts
chewber i cant recall what the ole man did, i know me and steffen tried sandblasting everything at school back in the day and it took about 3 hours with that p.o.s. and we gave up lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts