Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Z 570 with stock gearing (19 top, 39 bottom) and I am getting around 85-90 mph and I was wondering if I can change up my gearing to increase my top speed....? Or what else I can do to increase my speed.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
You will need to change gearing. The larger gear on top or the smaller at the bottom will give more speed. Clutching won't add any speed (Unless the clutches aren't working properly) just shifts out sooner or later depending on how its set up. You have to be careful how many teeth you go because it will become a dog at low speed if its geared too high. Then clutching will have to be addressed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a larger gear on top and a smaller one on bottom. I'll try it and see how it works. I didn't get a new clutch, but I did take my clutch spring on my secondary and tightend it to as tight as it can get and that made a huge difference in the way it rides. But other then that, all I have done to her is stud the track with 48 studs and opened up the carbs a little more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anything else I can do to this rig to increase speed? I know a liquid would go a lot faster, but I want this little fan of mine to go as fast as possible.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I would try a few teeth more on the top gear first and see how it reacts and if you are happy with it. Leave the bottom alone for now. Every tooth on the top is (approximately) equal to 3-4 tooth on the bottom. Try looking for a 21 or 22 tooth off eBay and go from there.

Keep in mind your chain may become too tight and you may need another chain if you do this. I think you have a 70 pitch chain. (Number of pins) and if you change the gears you may not be able to get the chain on so you may have to go to a 72 pitch chain which is larger to accommodate the gear change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man thanks a lot! :) I did just get a 21 tooth top gear and a 41 tooth bottom with a 72 pin chain. I am fiddling with the gearing now to see what works best. If I can get this thing going around 90-95 I will be one happy camper.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Try just the 21 first and see if you like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I tried the 21 on top and kept the 39 on bottom and I didn't really notice any change. Then a buddy gave me a 23 tooth top sprocket and so I tried that and whoa!! It gave me about a 6-7 mph increase :)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts