Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently lost access to 91 octane ethanol free gas. I can get 90 octane ethanol free or 93 octane with 10% ethanol. I know the manual wants 91 minimum. What do you all think?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I really don't think the 1 point difference is going to matter. The 93 with 10% ethanol will be fine too if you use it up quickly.
Sounds like you're a candidate for regular use of K100.

Even with the K100 I'd shy away from the ethanol. The 90 non oxy, with K100, would be the most correct answer.
Been using it for years. Good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
I run oxy blends during the season without issue. I usually try to make sure the last couple tanks are non-oxy just to clear the tanks. I haven't done a perfect job every year and sometimes have a tank of ethanol blend left in the sled. I haven't done anything special on those occasions. I just topped off the tank before taking off for the first ride the next winter. These motors do better than my small engines.
Another factor to consider is that the octane rating is the minimum that should be coming out of the pump. They often end up with higher octane than the rating.
The Ctec motors do seem a little more forgiving on octane as well. We do a lot of riding in a no man's land that has 87 or 89 ratings on the pump. It has been rare to feel these detune on that gas. The old Zuke motors had more problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts