Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 AC 500 auto 4x4. I was wondering why they built it and didn`t install a gas shut off valve.I had to have carberator work done because it sat for 3 month without being ridden. I feel like if I had a shut off valve where I could run it out of gas when it was not being used regularly I could have avoided this problem and repair cost.I have a boat that I do this everytime I use it and have never had a problem with the carb. in the 15 years I have used it.Does anyone know why they didn`t put one on it ?

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
I dont think any of them have a shut off valve because they are fuel pump fed. If you unplug the fuel pump you can run it out of gas. Its under the seat with the gas lines coming in and out of it. I use Stabil in everything and have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Your machine has a mechanical fuel pump so there is no shutoff valve. If you plan on leaving the machine sit for periods of time, I would highly recommend using Sea Foam in your gas. I have yet to have a fuel related issue when I use it. I use it in my trimmer, ice auger, sleds, ATV, van, truck, mower, etc... It keeps things clean and stabilizes the fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it has a fuel pump. Can you not install a shut off valve if it has a fuel pump? I plan on using stabil and or seafoam in future if you can`t install a shut off valve on an atv with a fuel pump in the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The carb isn't gravity fed so it's not going to flood just sitting there. Why would you want a fuel shut off valve? Theft deterrent or something? Anyhow, of course you could add one if you wanted to. Just curious as to why.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I believe the fuel pump is like mine in that it's directly under the seat. It's about 2" round and has one fuel line facing the back of the bike and 2 lines facing the front (one fuel line to the carb, and one vacuum line to the intake boot).

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Running the bike out of fuel isnt always good either it drys the carbs out and cause seal leaks and whatnots.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
dont use stabil. I have never had any thing but issues with it. I would trust seafoam over stabil any day.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
dont use stabil. I have never had any thing but issues with it. I would trust seafoam over stabil any day.[/b]
x2 on that. I've had Stabil gel up on me before....caused all sorts of issues. To the contrary, I have yet to have any issues with Sea Foam.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
I cant find Seafoam here in Colo. Stabil has treated me right for ? 20 years?
It must be a regional thing?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Well for one, my factory school for Briggs and stratton said that if you want to use a fuel stabilizer you need to use a mineral based stabilizer. Everything else is alachol base and that as we all know is bad.

I have put stabil in gas that was in my lawn mowers or weed eaters or what ever small power product. The diaphragm was eaten out of the carb because of it.

Where even normal gas wouldnt cause that from sitting over winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts