Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if there are any ways to cheaply increase ur mpg ratio can u guys post all the ways u can think of? So far I heard something about fuel line ammount or something and than that reeds can increase teh gas mileage or possibly decrease it, I know I have stated my issue before but I got 1996 zrt 600 weights like 570 pounds or so, and even tho its a triple and heavy I am getting 3 miles to the gallon, if I keep having to pay 20 bucks to fill up my tank every 60 miles I am gonna go bankrupt :(. I really need some ways to increase it or some other sled choices on gas mileage (four strokes get 18+ mpg?????) I mean I dont really care on speed all to much anymore as long as I can get over 80 mph or so ill be fine im not worried about racing or keeping up I am in it for the love of the sport and the enjoyment I feel when I do it, not to race or spend $500 bucks a trip. Please need responses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there something in your track or clutch binding up? What does your piston wash look like? Plugs? It would have to be waaayyy rich to get three mpg. Are you leaking it somewhere?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See I tried to get some of these answers before but not very clear, I dont know much about snowmobile engines I have only recently started to change stuff and upgrade so I dont know much of wat ur talking about, also the guy I bought it from gave me no service manuel or anything. But I did state that the ehaust is blowing out oil substance that someone said might be from a gas leak, where teh ehuast connect to the motor itself theres small wet spots on 2 of the cylinders. The oil subtances from teh exhuast will leave very noticeable brown oil like stuff. The guy I bought it from was in a way untrustable but yet not, he replaced a few weather guards around the cylinders and teh pull start recoil and choke the track is fairly new there are new ski covers and choke system. If anyone that can talk me through this better of msn drop me ur msn address its so much easier getting fast responses. I want to see what I can do before the suspected snow comes :(

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Hello. I see you stated the Choke was replaced. Something tells me the choke need adjusting. Is there any play in the choke lever at all when you go to use it. If there isn't than the choke is staying on a little. This will make the sled use more gas. I suspect the cylinder that has the oil leaking from the exhaust is the one with the choke that needs adjustment. Pull the spark plug from that cylinder and see if it is really wet. Here are the pages out of my service manual to help. If you know someone who knows how to do this, ask them to check over you're work just to see if you did it right. Hands on is how you learn, but it is good to have someone there to guide also. I don't understand what you mean weather guards around cylinders. I suggest purchasing a service manual from Arctic Cat. These manuals pay for themselves over & over again.

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weather things that I was talking about are the carb boots, they show in ur first picture one, I get carb and cylinder mixed up :(.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I went out there and took out all 3 spark plugs and they are blacker than fock, And they are oddly sticky.... more of a undryed glue type if u know wat I mean. Also I didnt replace the whole choke system I bought everything but the wires it was a $6 dollar thing on ebay so I bought 2. Now the first time after I got it all hooked up and right when I pulled the choke up it snapped. So I took it all apart and sprayed some special stuff that my dad got me that napa recommended to use. And we also greased the inner box that the wires connect to and all. That fixed it, but wat was wrong was one of the choke wouldnt open or close im not sure but pretty much if u pull teh choke all of the them open I assume? so than it was jammed closed. Now once we sprayed that down the tube a little bit it worked pretty good. If this helps any of ur thoughts, I am gonna look around for a service manuel for that I tried to get one off ebay for 5 bucks but I forgot about it and now its gone. I tried to follow those pictures but I can really see it :(.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
If you were having trouble getting the choke to open than I assume they are not closing all the way. If a choke stays open at all it will let excess gas into that cylinder when engine is running. Does the engine once warmed up idle properly. Buy the sounds of you're spark plugs the engine is running rich(to much gas).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I first start it up, the thing idles at around 3000 rmp... than after about 3 minutes idles down to 1000 rmp or so.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does get pretty load almost sounding like its about to take off..

Also is there a way to reduce how rich it runs????

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am just truely stumped on this I am thinking it has to be the choke but no one around here really does much like this and the dealers are expensive just to have it checked out. Thats the only logical thing I can think of is the choke,

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If u want to know my rpm at certain speed I cant really tell u as the guy I bought it from never told me the speedo was broken...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I know this prolly wont help at all but its the only picture I got so far of the engine. Mabey tommorow morning I will take some better pics of the plugs and wat not. A guy on msn told me that teh air filter may be dirty and may be cause a slight mpg change.

http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1166730965

I am just so desperate to get this fixed I want to see if I can get it it up even up to 8 mpg b4 the next snow anythings better than this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if the speedo does not work check the speedo adapter under your secondary clutch if the bearing on the end of your drive shaft is gone the first thing to go is your speedo.chex yourtrack tention to to tight takes more power to turn

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I smell lemons o_O - lemons as a pun.

p.s how do I check my track tension? I have seen how to check the bearings on a previous post but idk about track tension.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts