Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 ZL500 with carb's and I only get 7.9 MPG... The sled just got the top end rebuilt and carb's cleaned and adj. The sled runs great all the time. But I don't understand why it get's such poor gas mileage. Before it got rebuild it also got bad gas mileage. It's also got 360 main jets in it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had that same sled back in the day. It was terrible hard on fuel. I spent some time calibrating the carburetors and got it to an acceptable mpg. I don't want to give you much information on what I jetted it to because of the dangers of leaning it too much. Where I found the largest problem was in the mid-range circuit. The needle jet and the needle were a far richer calibration than that sled needed.
Then I spent a day on the lake with trial and error but with the equipment you can obtain with ease today, I would spend the money on a ratio gauge or some egt gauges. It makes calibrating much faster and less expensive in the long run.
General ratio guide
idle to lower mid 10.5:1 to 11.5:1
mid 13.5:1 to 14.7:1
upper mid to full open 12:1 is optimal
If you use egt's, 1225 degrees F. is about as hot as you want to go.
Hope I have helped

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would say 10 or better is more realistic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try different weights in primary clutch (heavier) and a different helix on secondary.
Sled comes over revy from factory on the bottom end and this will change the way it shifts which will improve your mpg.

I had one back in the day ---also stud it with 96 down the middle --sled turns into a little rocket for it's size and mpg should turn into about 12 to 15 depending what your riding style is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i averaged 6+ miles on my 94 EXT580MC on a 38 degree day. I droped my main jet from a 340 to a 320 cause my belt cover suggested that for 20+ TO 40 degrees. but I did not change my needle position from stock 3 clip and it was rich burblin in the mid the whole day. did 60+ miles and went through 10+ gallons of 87RON. my pistons are washed clean still think its a rich condition that is washing them I'm sticking with 320's for now and i moved my plastic shim on top of my clip.. you have a 500 i would think 360's are huge for a 250 cc jug but maybe reeds run more fuel the my tried and true piston port motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts