Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a big maxx 80,000 btu heater in my garage. I only heat when im in the garage, not 24/7. I installed a basic, manual, lever style non digital thermostat. Works great. Besides having warm working conditions another reason for the heater was to thaw out the sleds after riding. While not necessary it would be nice to turn on the heater 30 minutes before i get home and have the ability to turn it off from my easy chair after i get home. This means id need a wifi digital thermostat. Problem is the garage can get down to 10f or so when not heated and my prior experience is the digital thermostats wont work when its that cold. Anyone find one that does well in the cold?

another option is using a smart plug. I posed this question of using the smart plug to cut power to the heater in a hvac forum and they recommended not cutting the heater power instantly (loose the cool down function/fan) rather use the smart plug in conjunction with a relay to cut the thermostat from requesting heat. They lost me at relay.:confused:

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I know you want an alternative to what you are doing but I would keep as is. That 30 minutes of heat will be lost opening the doors and driving sleds in. Yes you need the cool down period for any type of furnace. Have you thought about leaving it on at a low temperature or don’t you use the garage a lot? I have a 4kw forced air electric furnace in my 20x24 garage. It has a switch to change it to a 2kw furnace. I have heat on from mid October to end of April. Depending on temps of course. Garage is kept at 50f unless I need it warmer. I have stuff in that garage that can’t freeze hence why I run it in winter.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont use it enough to leave the heat on. If i need to leave it manual that’s fine. Just seeing if there are any other options. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I was thinking about the thermostat issue may be because of batteries. However you can get hardwired ones but they say it still has temp range of 40f-85 or so. I know my old style thermostat acts up when it’s colder than the 50f.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Most all of the wifi thermostats need a common wire. The batteries will not power the thermostat. So cold is not an issue. I have four honeywell wifi thermostats. One for the house, house garage, and detached shop. Fourth one is at the lake cabin. Most unit heaters will need to have wiring moved around in the plug that goes to the circuit board to provide the common to the thermostat. I would not do the smart plug.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heater does have a c wire hookup

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which one do you have? 50 is ok, i usually crank to 60 or 70 when im out there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The one I have is a Honeywell TH8320WF1029. There are a few on Ebay used. It is a discontinued model. The replacement is a TH8320R1003. They can accept humidity sensors or outdoor air temp sensors. My app is total connect comfort (TCC). So you can set schedules and run fan only and such. It is really handy when I know I am going to work on something right after work I can bump up the temp before I leave work. Oh and it can heat down to 40 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts