Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go through a whole tank of gas in like 2 hours, just doing some average trail riding then the odd straight away. Is this normal for a 98 zr600 efi?
I don't think I can do much long distance trail rides without having a couple jerry cans in saddel bags! LOL

·
Registered
141 Posts
Look into an item called Tour Buddy I have one on my '97 ZRT. Holds an extra 2.5 gallons under the hood and is plummed into the fuel system so it uses that fuel first. (but check your sled for proper operation) My ZRT will not pass a gas station ,but its far from stock.

www.tourbuddy.com

·
Registered
172 Posts
idk if other people consider it good or not but your doing better then me lol, i'll have a full tank when i leave my house and about an hour and half later i gotta give my zrt 600 a drink of petro lol, but that might be because where i go riding it's twisty trails and when im comeing out of the corners i usually got the throttle pinned lol but thats just my2cents

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi ! I owned a 1999 ZL600efi for five years and 6400 mi. until the stator went sour twice in two years. Fuel mileage averaged out at about 13miles per Canadian gal. That allows you to ride about 100 - 105 miles before the tank is empty. These are non groomed trail miles but I don't think you would do much better anyway. I even installed a D & D fuel pressure regulator to remove the richness but fuel mileage didn't improve appreciably.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The 600's are pigs, my wifes ZL 600 and my bro's ZR600, both 2000's only get like 7-9 mpg's at best (US). Put twin pipes on them and believe it or not the mileage goes up to like 10 mpg's.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i dont know about you underscore but it sounds like your gettin average if not better gas mileage lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine never got better than 7 mpg....NEVER!!!!

THe first rule with riding that sled that I had was don't EVER pass a gas station, even if you only have 15 miles on a tank of gas...

·
Registered
165 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clutch @ Jan 4 2007, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mine never got better than 7 mpg....NEVER!!!!

THe first rule with riding that sled that I had was don't EVER pass a gas station, even if you only have 15 miles on a tank of gas...[/b]

I couldn't agree more. One thing cat's are not known for, is their gas mileage!!!! My sled has never got better then 7mpg either. If you can get 100 miles per tank you are doing pretty good. You could maybe monkey around with the carbs and jets a little if the sled is running too rich, but from what you have told us so far your sled sounds about right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just for fun guys, I wish I could go through a tank of gas. I havent had to fill my tank yet this year !!! Still NO SNOW !!! Jan 4 2007. You guys at least get to use your sled...

·
Registered
172 Posts
hey jeff355 dont feel bad i havent got to use my sled yet this year, i just know what i use for gas from ridin last year, dude today it was january 4th and it got up to the mid 50's today. not to mention i live in maine, and on a normal winter in maine where i live gets about 3 and a half to 4 feet a year... but i cant wait till 3rd week of febuary cause im goin on a snowmobilein trip to where ever the snow is for a week lol

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (undersc0re @ Dec 31 2006, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I go through a whole tank of gas in like 2 hours, just doing some average trail riding then the odd straight away. Is this normal for a 98 zr600 efi?
I don't think I can do much long distance trail rides without having a couple jerry cans in saddel bags! LOL[/b]
Yep! That era of efi sleds were real fuel hogs. I believe the chip is inter-changable in 98. Check with D&D for their hi-po chip replacement.
At least you could jet down the carb models.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Used to get a consistant 100 miles for sure on my 98 ZR 600 EFI, sometimes a bit more, on a tank of gas. Riding conditions varied. Had the pipe/chip combo and good clutching.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I think clutching can really make a difference in mpg. I have run my peak rpm as high as 8800 and as low as 8000. On the low side it never seemed to hurt MPG, but on the high side it cost me 3 mpg!! I was getting 12+ mpg at 8500 or lower and when I ran it at 8800 it dropped to 9 at best. My sled seems to be pulling hardest at 8500 so I'm going to stick with that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Well that eliminates Maine from my list ! Maybe you can come to Ontario if we get some...[/b]
i dont think i'll be able to get that much money to go to ontario but if i can save that much money and there isnt any snow in fort kent, maine at the time then i'll probably be going into canada somewheres... god i need to go snowmobilein, i went out to my snowmobile trailer and started up my zrt just to make sure it still runs, to here the mighty sound of the artic cat triples lol, and to smell the 2 stroke fumes lol, and also looked it all over well checkin for mouse homes and what not from sittin on the trailer pretty much all year long lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts