Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puting along in muddy conditions with cooling fan running and suddenly a second fan sound starts from under passenger seat, louder than the fan. Traced to fuel tank. Have 3 gallons of fuel still in tank. Turn off engine and restart the sound goes away but then after a few miles comes back on.
Anyone experience fuel pump failure? Can you tell the pump is going to fail or is noise related to venting plugged or dirt in the pump screen or what???
Any diagnosis or insight would be helpful before I order a new pump.
2010 XTX 700

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
I Have Heard This On My 2 700s & Wildcat Mostly When Hot Out
Have Not Had To Replce One Yet I dunno

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird, filled up with gas took 4 gallons cnd and noise is gone. I thought fuel capacity was 6.8 gallons canadian so there was at least 2 1/2 gallons in tank when fuel pump started whining. Getting about 15 mpg so will have to carry extra fuel on those long trips.I dunno

·
Registered
5 Posts
my new 1000 xtz does it after it gets hot. as in a pretty long day of riding. doesnt matter how much gas is in it. read on another topic or forum that dealer is aware of it and just get em to look into it and they are supposed to replace the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Fuel is also the "coolant" of your fuel pump, so if you allow it to get low often, than it could cause the pump to get hotter, which tends to be noisier. Same goes in your auto, if you keep your tank low all the time and just throw in a few bucks to keep you going, you ill have to replace your pump more often.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
April 28, 2014
Fuel pump wine is getting very loud and more frequent. Definitely pump in tank. Some one recommended a 1990 ford mustang 4cy pump is a great fit at $100 so I bought one and now need to figure out how the two pieces of plastic housing surrounding pump come apart?

Anyone have knowledge of separating housings on 2010 700 Prowler???Not worthy:

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
Good Luck On That One
If You Do Fig It Out Please Post Up How

1 - 8 of 8 Posts