Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 700 EFI (Orange)

Long story short, that little plastic tube coming off your fuel pump assembly where your fuel line attaches - it broke.

I can't seem to find the plastic assembly only (here is the part # for the whole assembly: 0570-271)...where you can find them, they're $500. A lot of cash for a broken plastic tube. (I did try fuel safe JB Weld...just can't handle the PSI on a butt joint and blows out after an hour or so).

My initial thought: plug the hole, drill a new hole with a brass fuel fitting and run a hose to the fuel pump. But...then you bypass your fuel pressure regulator. I haven't been able to find a self contained fuel pressure regulator that I can plug in, in-line. I could go in tank or external...external usually requires vacuum (which I don't think my quad has) and are designed mostly to go on car fuel rails from what I can find.

Another thought I had was to bore the hole from the former tube, tap it to a metal fitting and thread w/adhesive in place. This could work fine, but I'm worried about being miles back on the train and it blows.

So my perfect world: I'd like the fuel line to run back with an inline fuel regulator and return line, external to the tank. The only thing in the tank would be the pump and the sending unit, with metal through fittings to bypass the plastic design.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I like your idea of drilling, tapping and installing a brass or stainless pipe to hose barb fitting. Use teflon paste on the male threads. Just go easy with drilling and tapping not to crack it. Should never bother again.

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
Read this,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic of the broken tube. I don't have to remove the pump assembly from the tank to access the broken component.

At a minimum, I'll drill/tap it now with a threaded/barbed brass fitting...I've got nothing to lose.

I'll make a vid as soon as I can get to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Either teflon paste or RTV silicone gasket maker should work as a thread sealer with gasoline on the pipe threads. I've made lots of composite fuel tanks for boats and have good luck drilling and tapping glass/carbon fiber reinforced plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts