Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son owns a 2000 Artic cat 300 4wd I had issues with the carb and it was removed to clean it and find out why it was leaking fuel. soaked it in carb cleaner over night. Had the needle and seat changed and when it was put back on the bowl was leaking. So removed the bowl and coated the neoprene gasket with grease to try and get it to swell enough to swell and seal. Now with the bowl not leaking the bike will start and idle but that is it. As soon as the throttle is touched the engine quits so I know it isn't getting enough fuel. I don't understand how this particular Mikuni carb works but I need a crash course to figure it out and a carb kit wouldnt hurt I guess.
Thanks for anything that helps in advance.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
Did you take apart the top diaphragm? The slide part of the throttle. If so, it sounds like it isnt sealed.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
i would do a carb kit just due to the age of the machine... Also check and set the float level if teh float is not set right it will not have enough fuel to run under RPM...

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
I just rebuilt a 2000 500 mikuni carb. They are quite simple to work on. I replaced the bowl gasket and did a general cleaning. I re used the needle and seat. Look to you tube on how to clean a needle and seat it's really kewl. I did not open the top of the carb, there wasnt a need to.
With a gravity feed gas tank, the only way it isnt getting gas is if the needle isnt adjusted correct or its the wrong needle and seat or the gas valve is bad. . With the bowl off, lower the float and see if it flows. Raise the float and it should stop. look for a plugged pilot jet. Turn pilot adjusting screw in, count the number of turns then remove it. spray carb cleaner thru those ports and replace needle to same turns out as before ( around 3 )
Items that I just replaced on the 2000, airbox to carb boot, it had 6 large cracks in it. Gas tank shut off valve, Air filter, spark plug, oil change because we figured gas was making its way past the carb and into the crankcase.
this 500 runs like a champ again.

Reactions: doorfx
1 - 4 of 4 Posts