Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some sort of a gas issue with one of my sleds. I'm thinking I must be something with the injectors ext...

It will start right up but it feels like it will load up and then lose power. When I start it sometimes I'll have to give it a little throttle which I've never seen with an EFI but other wise when I get into throttle it will take hard then all of the sudden kill out, not dying but taking all the power to the track. It will stay idleing and then immediately power up (get enough gas to move it)

I've replaced both clutches, removed the fuel pump and it powers up fine so I'm thinking It has to be maybe an injector issue. Just wonding if any of you season vets have any advice for me. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Injector power off the stator is from the blue wires and usually about 19-20 ohms. I would check the ignition part of the stator just in case. Green to brown should be about 450 ohms and green to black about 45 ohms. Maybe others will have some other ideas on it.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Your ECU would be telling you with flashing trouble codes if it was an injector problem.
Sounds more like the throttle safety switch is acting up.
Have you ever replaced the little white washers that are on the throttle lever pin?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't actually OldCat, I will look into those tomorrow. I also questioned if the problem was in the throttle. thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the clear washers on the throttle and nothing changed. I'm looking for a code on the computer that stears me towards the injectors. It seems to run fine on stands but with a rider it wants to cut power. Again, any help would be wonderful.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With it on stands you can get the rpms up there and you can hear it kinda fluttering, like a rev limiter on a car would. but on the low side it will just cut out? so flustered!!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
To completely elimi9nate the Throttle Safety System as a problem, unplug the 3 prong wire that comes from the thumb throttle Assy. The connector is somewhere by the steering column. This will completely disable the TSS (when you do this, your kill switch will not work but key will) If after you do this, the problem does not go away, check the following:

Bad Gas?
Bad Spark plug wires or caps - It's pretty common to get corrosion between the wire and cap. Normal fix is to unscrew the cap from the wire, cut 1/2 inch off the wire and screw cap back on. I have also seen buildup inside the cap cause problems.
Check reed valve petals
Obstructions in Pipe, silencer, or airbox?

Based on what you said, it does not sound like injectors to me. It's very rare for them to fail.

How do your plugs "read" do they both look the same, and are they a nice dark tan color?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plug and coil are good, tried disconnecting the TSS, but i'm thinking it's the exhaust because I had one sitting around and I'm thinking some mice truned it into a home. Gonna go back out and try putting different on on it! thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well tried a new pipe & can, same problem. Most likely going to take the reeds of later tonight. One question I do have is, is it potental that after putting a new teather on it (never had one before) that it could be somes sort of quick short in the teather cutting power to the engine but not takin enough to completely kill the sled? I'm just trying to trouble shoot anything and everything because I've had it tore apart about 10 times and just struggling on finding the problem.

It seems like everytime I pull it out of the garage and the ski's hit the gravel it cuts out, as if everytime it gets extra tension it cuts out. Though when i hammer down on it it will take off hard untill it quickly cuts out again. ...just boggled.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well switched out reeds, the ones in there had just a suddle chip on the middle of the 3 palates but one of them had a little corrosion on the cage where the screws were. I switched them out with another set, once again nothing changed. These weren't new but but in better shape (the reeds in there had a slightly cracked cage). so yeah if one of the palates didn't set flat would that do it?

Also looking at the computer lite it has a slow and steady blink. Is this normal or is this a code read?

thanks again

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
When it's running, there should be no blinks at all. Anything else indicates a problem.
It will blink in a preprogramed sequence for any of the trouble codes.
Long and short flashes, count number and sequence.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
When it's running, there should be no blinks at all. Anything else indicates a problem.
It will blink in a preprogramed sequence for any of the trouble codes.
Long and short flashes, count number and sequence.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
if it is a steady blink its a code 1 throttle position sensor my 02 is throwing that code it does all sorts of weird stuff i have a used tb if it turns out thats what u need i have a spar one off a 99 its difrent than my 02 so i had to order one for my 02

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
so your saying if i just replace the black part on the end of the cord I will solve the problem or is it something on the block? because I have switched the computers with my other sled and it worked fine all season on my other efi?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts