Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, being new to the firecats, I was wondering what small mods are relatively cheap, that will gain a little power, but also gain a better burn/ more fuel mileage.

Some things that I have seen are adjustable fuel pressure systems that bolt onto the sled, (all over ebay). How good are they, whats the drawbacks? Reliability?

I've also seen some air intake's that are a larger diameter. SLP makes one? What kind of good do these do, and what has to be modified to install it?

I've also seen the "boondocker" controller from which you can again adjust fuel pressure, but if im not gonna use nitrous anytime soon, whats the advantage over the cheaper fuel line system that does the same thing?

I already know about the common parts, like clutching, pipes, etc. but I don't plan on anything like that for a few years.

Thanks for reading all the questions, hope I can find some answers!

Tim

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think the best value engine mods are advanced timing key, BMP stock pipe mod, BMP head mod, and fuel restrictor.

I personally have the above except for the head mod (coming soon) and do not use the inline fuel restrictor (cause i haven't needed it yet). The restrictor itself is very reliable. The user of the restrictor is less reliable. You can burn down the engine if you are not extremely diligent in checking your plugs.

Obviously, everyone here will add in how you should change the clutching. I have left mine stock for now ( I don't run studs and don't want to lose top end just to gain more track spin down low and midrange).

All that said, the most valueable thing you can do is make sure the sled is setup correctly for track tension/alignment, proper clutch operation (even if stock), ski alignment, etc).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do you have an F6 or an F7? I hear you should not run a fuel restrictor on an F6 because they are leaner than the F7's. I actually installed a restrictor on my F6 this fall, but after reading about this topic I took the jet out of the restrictor, so now I just have a pressure gauge in the fuel line.

Oh, BTW, I have an ODS CK and a BMP pipe mod and the sled cranks...I beat plenty of larger displacement sleds with this set-up, and it is snappy on the trails. For $500 you can't beat it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 06 F7 EFI. What is the BMP pipe mod? Also, where can I find "mod" parts for these sleds? I have the SnoPro model with the 1.375 inch track, even as the sled sits stock, it has a spin problem, not major, but enough to slow it down. Basically my only choice there would be studs.... who makes a good long stud for these tracks? I was thinking if I studded it, I would put 144 in it.
Thanks for the help so far, can't wait to hear more!

·
Registered
89 Posts
BMP pipe mod is when you take your stock pipe off and mail it to Bikeman Performance where they cut it open and do some secret internal modding. On an F7, it will add about 6 HP...not bad for $189.

My brother has a sno pro so I am familar with that track. You should get Woody's 1.45 Megabites or Gold Diggers or 1.50 Stud Boy Powerpoints. 144 is an odd pattern for a firecat track because it is 128" long vs. the standard 121". I have 153 in mine...3 per track bar, or you can do 4-2-4-2. Another popular patterns for F7's is 4-4-2-4-4-2...this requires 170 studs. Stud the closed windows as that is where you will get the most penetration.

·
Registered
105 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Peter King 28 @ Mar 1 2007, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
BMP pipe mod is when you take your stock pipe off and mail it to Bikeman Performance where they cut it open and do some secret internal modding. On an F7, it will add about 6 HP...not bad for $189.

My brother has a sno pro so I am familar with that track. You should get Woody's 1.45 Megabites or Gold Diggers or 1.50 Stud Boy Powerpoints. 144 is an odd pattern for a firecat track because it is 128" long vs. the standard 121". I have 153 in mine...3 per track bar, or you can do 4-2-4-2. Another popular patterns for F7's is 4-4-2-4-4-2...this requires 170 studs. Stud the closed windows as that is where you will get the most penetration.[/b]
If he has the sno pro track, there are no windows to stud. You have a 06, they have about the best map yet programmed into the ecu, more than likely you do not need a fuel reducer, you can always put a gauge in the line and check to see what your baseline pressure is. The [email protected] y pipe is a nice add on for a couple of horsepower, the bikeman pipe mod is also a nice cost effective mod (they cut your pipe in half, add a section, rework the outlet) but all the changes you make in your sled to make more power, usually require you to make changes in the clutching to make use of the new found power. Here is a photo of my sno pro track, I have 140+ woodys megabites in th 1.575 length, my own pattern. I also recommend the tall nuts, they really support the tall studs much better than the regulars. f you have studs this long, some extra tunnel protectors are recommended. [attachment=65102:pICT0728__Small_.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts