Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting diesel dripping on the ground under my Cat. It started after I filled the tank, thought it might have been overfilled. Guess I'll take off the rear plastics and dig into it. Otherwise it's running great. As it's 12 years old, I should replace fuel lines anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through this a few months back. It would leak anytime I filled it up all the way. Turns out it was the gasket(s) on the fuel sender. So when I would fill it up enough to bring the level higher than the seals, it would leak. Once the level went down, it would stop. You'll probably have a bunch of diesel soaked dirt sitting in the depression where the sender sits in the tank. I can't recall if it was one or both seals that were leaking but I replaced them both since they were only a few bucks each and I was already in there. Part numbers: 0470-521 and 0470-838. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect you are right. 1 stubborn Torx head screw holding rack on, soaking the nut with P B Blaster overnite. Thing is, I replaced that gasket in 2017 when I did turbo install. Allways something, my 700 TRV has a ripped rear CV boot. Just replaced 1 on the Diesel, few months ago.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, was not the gasket. I replaced those in 2017, but it ended up being the vent hose on the front of the tank, broken off at the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being purely selfish, I'm glad it wasn't the gasket because I was thinking, damn, is mine going to go bad in just a few years now? I'm glad you were able to find the source!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the gasket can go bad, but I replaced it 3 years ago. I had gotten water coming into the tank, so replaced it. Glad to see it was dry and original fuel lines looked good. Something to watch for. Maybe not a bad idea to overfill the tank once in a while. What saved mine from destruction= water leak happened, then I drove it up a mountain at around 0F. Fuel filter froze up and it died. Darned lucky, water inside a 22/1 compression motor could have been the end. Water can set around that gasket and leak in...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed too that water can sit there. I keep an eye on that area for an dampness, be it fuel or water. I also make it a habit of periodically overfilling the tank, then checking it the next day to see if there's any leakage there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts