Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a new F6 SP. I have a couple of questions about Fuel and Oil.

They are newbie questions, so you will have to excuse me.

Should I be using 91 octane fuel or is it a waste of money. The manual says 87 is the minimum. Where i live gas is really expensive. $1.16/ litre for 91.

Should I use the Arctic Cat APV oil or can I switch to a cheaper alternative. Mybe Shell Advance Sno Ultra. I'm concerned of warranty issues with non-arctic cat oil.

Any input would be great, thanks

Regards,

Northernstar

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shell Advance Ultra is an excellent oil. Use it without worry. It is probably better than OEM oil. I have used it for years w/o a problem.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Shell Ultra is great oil, don't worry about that, my dealer told me to just use regular fuel in my F8. Unless you are getting predetonation (pinging) there is no need to use high octane fuel as it is just a waste of money

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gearhead @ Dec 28 2006, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shell Advance Ultra is an excellent oil. Use it without worry. It is probably better than OEM oil. I have used it for years w/o a problem.[/b]
Me too... I agree... Another thing about the Shell Advance Ultra Synthetic is the price. It goes on sale sometimes and is a great deal.

I don't think Cat's OEM oil is bad oil, but it is definitley overpriced. And so are most of the others.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going through my break-in period right now. I only have around 40 miles on my sled.

After that, when I switch to the Shell Ultra Synthetic, how should I go about doing it?

Should I just wait until the sled gets low on oil and then put the shell in or drain it out and add the shell stuff?

Northernstar

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (northernstar @ Dec 28 2006, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Should I just wait until the sled gets low on oil and then put the shell in or drain it out and add the shell stuff?[/b]
Just wait till it gets low, then add the Shell Ultra.

Don't go too low, wouldn't want to suck an air bubble into the oil line. I doubt it would happen but I suppose it is possible.

No need to drain it... One of the requirements for the TCW3 spec is that any TCW3 oil will mix with any other TCW3 oil. So you don't have to worry about gelling or seperation, etc. Just pour it in and have fun instead of worry. :chug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts