Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK 2001 ZRT 800 Speedo not working and I replaced the bearing. I bought the cable adapter and I went to install it. When I tried to put the plate back on the bearing housing the cable adapter seemed to long and it hits the end of the drive shaft . Seems the that the cable adapter is to long. Note:I am not fimilar on the operation of this adapter

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Not sure but is one end longer than the other? Both ends are square but might be a longer squared section on one end than the other. Not sure but might be worth checking into. Is there any grease in the drive shaft not letting the cable part go in all the way? I'm doing a speedo now for a friend and can't quite remember.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Dec 19 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not sure but is one end longer than the other? Both ends are square but might be a longer squared section on one end than the other. Not sure but might be worth checking into. Is there any grease in the drive shaft not letting the cable part go in all the way? I'm doing a speedo now for a friend and can't quite remember.[/b]
I removed all the grease from the plate. The adapter is the same size at both ends. I could try to use the other end but we are expected to be hammered with snow so I would do it till I get a break.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Is the drive shaft sticking out of the bearing or is it flush with it? Maybe you didn't get the shaft "centered" or put back to the same spot as it was originally.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Dec 19 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is the drive shaft sticking out of the bearing or is it flush with it? Maybe you didn't get the shaft "centered" or put back to the same spot as it was originally.[/b]
Its not flush but I used the right side bearing and its housing to replace the drive shaft back to its original position. So IDK

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I'm sure someone will chime in soon. I am not sure, so I'd rather not say.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Dec 19 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure someone will chime in soon. I am not sure, so I'd rather not say.[/b]
Ya its cool. its only the speedo. RPM and gas gauge work ok. lol IDK if I really want to know how fast that triple can go

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Well, just ran out to the shop. There should be a high spot on the short cable that fits into the drive shaft. It should be right in the middle making both sides the same length. See if the short cable I am talking about fits all the way into the drive shaft and then pull out and check the speedo adapter unit that bolts on. It should fit all the way in to the high spot on it on both parts. If not something is wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, just ran out to the shop. There should be a high spot on the short cable that fits into the drive shaft. It should be right in the middle making both sides the same length. See if the short cable I am talking about fits all the way into the drive shaft and then pull out and check the speedo adapter unit that bolts on. It should fit all the way in to the high spot on it on both parts. If not something is wrong.[/b]
I so appreciate your help in this matter but I am sorry I am completely lost. I took the adapter and slid it into the triangular plate that the actual speedo cable attaches too. It goes in about 45 percent of the entire lenght. Problem is that the drive shaft goes into the triangular plate approx 1/8 of a inches so with the adapter in place I cant put the plate back on cuz the adapter hits the drive shaft

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Sounds like the shaft is not in the correct position. Sounds like it needs to be moved inward. Are you sure everything is back as it was?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know its a pain sometimes but backtrack your work even if it takes starting allover to get it right. You dont want to be stranded, for something you knew about. The cover plate should slide right on , did you get the speedo key out of the drive shaft when it broke originaly, did you tighten chaincase side first. Couple things to look out for do a kwik search for bearing replacement sure this will help.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dkzrt800 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know its a pain sometimes but backtrack your work even if it takes starting allover to get it right. You dont want to be stranded, for something you knew about. The cover plate should slide right on , did you get the speedo key out of the drive shaft when it broke originaly, did you tighten chaincase side first. Couple things to look out for do a kwik search for bearing replacement sure this will help.[/b]
Good point dkzrt800!! I missed that. If there is a broken part in the shaft the new part will not fit in correctly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey pt! Talked to you last year when you picked up the zrt hows it runing you beat your buddys f7 yet it shouldnt be a promblem by know. Im still having a promblem keeping the skis on the ground even when i get on it at 60 mph know matter what suspsension set up i got on it at the time. Thinking of coupler blocks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dkzrt800 @ Dec 19 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey pt! Talked to you last year when you picked up the zrt hows it runing you beat your buddys f7 yet it shouldnt be a promblem by know. Im still having a promblem keeping the skis on the ground even when i get on it at 60 mph know matter what suspsension set up i got on it at the time. Thinking of coupler blocks.[/b]
Actually I didnt get into it to deeply. I had other fish to fry so maybe next time or when I get to the point where I want to wrench on it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dkzrt800 @ Dec 19 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know its a pain sometimes but backtrack your work even if it takes starting allover to get it right. You dont want to be stranded, for something you knew about. The cover plate should slide right on , did you get the speedo key out of the drive shaft when it broke originaly, did you tighten chaincase side first. Couple things to look out for do a kwik search for bearing replacement sure this will help.[/b]
Like I said I changed one bearing at a time. that way the shaft never moved position. I did the left side first and used the right bearing as a guide to make sure the drive shaft went back to the right location. Then visa versa. As far as a broken part I am not 100 percent of the actual workings of the speedo adapter. Does it sit at the end of the shaft or does it go inside the shaft. IDK

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Maybe this pic will help. Let us know. Why did you change your bearing in the first place. What did part #11 look like when you took it apart? I am assuming it was broken from what was stated earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Dec 20 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe this pic will help. Let us know. Why did you change your bearing in the first place. What did part #11 look like when you took it apart? I am assuming it was broken from what was stated earlier.[/b]
I lost the speedo and then in the middle of the field I lost the left front bearing. Got towed out and fixed it the next day. I never looked at the end of the shaft. I figured that I lost the pieces out in the field since I didnt have the outer race of the bearing. The only thing left was the inner race on the shaft and the housing because it was bolted to the tunnel

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
See if part #11 fits into part #4. It should go approx. 45% of the way in, or to the raise part in the middle of it. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
It has to be one of two things:

1) The shaft is sticking out too far towards the speedo adapter. Should only be 1/8 of an inch or less of the shaft sticking out of the bearing. Sounds like yours is about that, so it's probably not this.

-or-

2) There is an obstruction in the hole of the speedo adapter (#9) or hole of the shaft where the adpater wire (#11) goes in. There is an insert in the shaft (#4). If the old speedo wire is twisted up and broken off in there, it needs to come out. Usually you can pull it out with a paper clip or sewing needle. If not, the shaft insert needs to be replaced.

It sounds like the actual speedo adapter (#9) is not obstructed since it goes in 45% (as you stated).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blasikov @ Dec 20 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It has to be one of two things:

1) The shaft is sticking out too far towards the speedo adapter. Should only be 1/8 of an inch or less of the shaft sticking out of the bearing. Sounds like yours is about that, so it's probably not this.

-or-

2) There is an obstruction in the hole of the speedo adapter (#9) or hole of the shaft where the adpater wire (#11) goes in. There is an insert in the shaft (#4). If the old speedo wire is twisted up and broken off in there, it needs to come out. Usually you can pull it out with a paper clip or sewing needle. If not, the shaft insert needs to be replaced.

It sounds like the actual speedo adapter (#9) is not obstructed since it goes in 45% (as you stated).[/b]
I am going to have to go ahead and say that the shaft still has the old adapter in it. I have approx about 1/8 inch of shaft showing and I cant get the speedo adapter into the shaft

1 - 20 of 20 Posts