Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Dial-A-Jets, and 2" hidden snorkles a week ago. Every time i go to ride, it seems like i have to adjust something. Now today, at minimal throttle, it pops and sputters, and at mid and high speed it has powerloss. Ive already ordered a new Airbox so i can X the dial-a-jets. Ive even reduced the airbox snorkel to 1 1/2" so it was stock. It ran great last weekend, now this happens for no apparent reason. Any ideas? Do i tighten the F/A srews all the way in, then back them out 2 1/2 turns?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
man, sounds like your in a pickle.. sorry to hear that.. did my snorks today. that makes me nervous.

has anything changed since then? weather? mud in places it shouldnt be? could you have junked up your carb? (water or bad fuel?)

·
Registered
167 Posts
i had the exact same thing with the dial-a-jets, got the new air box..this weekend i'm going to jet the with the dyno kit..good luck

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ther is no generic amount of turns a jet is set at, those settings only are a reference point that will allow the motor to run so you can tune it. To tune any carb, start by screwing the air screw in, till the motor starts to slow and loose rpms, then back it out till it runs at the highest rpm, then turn back in 1/8 turn. Do this to both carbs starting with the front carb and see how it runs.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I snork'd my V2 and ran DAJ's and had no issues at all. In fact, after installing them it screamed along even better than before as I richened up the lean condition as a result from my 2" snorks.

The fact that it's "ever changing" and that you're popping and such makes me wonder if your airbox is sitting correctly on the carbs and all air ductwork is sealed. Sounds like you're lean to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
spray ether around the intake boots if it revs up you have a vacum leak. check your plugs get a fresh set and ride it then pull them and check the color. jetting is a science but without a barometer and altitude readings . you must use the art of plug reading. dial a jets are convienint but not the best way to go however dont give up on them yet slow down and check all the symptoms and only do one mod or adjustment at a time. 2cents please. :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Took me a while too. Other than the chance of mud/water getting in the dial a jet I'm happy with it.

WC

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi V2Rider, I hear of so many people from the snowmobile and ATV communities having a tough time with DAJ and with Dynojet kits. I have always used factory Mikuni or Kehin jets in every machine I have ever owned. At the moment I have 147.5 and 145 R/F Kehin jets in my V2 with good results. As you, I have 2" hidden snorkels and I have 142/138 but in the colder temps 32 degrees and below I have found that my new jetting is much more effective. It takes my 1/2 hour to chnge jets, so if I have to do that twice a year to have a great running machine year round its worth it. Jets cost 5 dollars a pair. I have a stock exhaust with the cleanout plug removed, I could probably go richer.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I figured out that in order to get a good look at the dial on the jets, i was pushing my airbox over to one side to see better. The front holder boot on the bottom of the carb came part way off. I fixed that, have my F/A screws 3 1/2 turns out, my dial-a-jets on full rich. It runs decent now, but seems to run better when i put a finger over the snorkel from the airbox. I even have a 1 1/2 reducer on the snorkel already! Im starting to think im going to need larger jets. Or do you think it will run better when it warms up a little more outside? Thanks for everyones help! Also sammydogs, ive never torn a carb apart, was it your first time changing jets, or are you pretty experienced with it?

·
Registered
724 Posts
You'll need larger jets but set it a little lean then go from there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Changing jets isnt hard the kawasaki manuel has better pic's. and all you have to do is take the float bowls off from the right side of the machine you dont even hae to pull the carbs. a plug reading will be very helpful in jetting but be Gentle with those spark plug caps there fragile. look for more vac leaks those dial a jets should have enough fuel to overcome the snorkle. what is the temp where you are?
also I see your running a dynaetk this is what they say.

What jetting should I use?

The Dyna FS ignition produces a longer and more intense spark than the stock ignition. This higher power spark may require that the carburetor be rejetted. In almost all cases, using the manufacturers recommended stock jetting will work with our ignition.

but now there is more air in ad a pipe and youll really be cranking :devil_angry:
good luck

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Hey V2, do you have pictures of how you installed the DAJ's? I installed mine so that They were directly under the air filter, yet in the airbox (like shown in the pinned post by Modn). Just curious to see your setup. Something isn't adding up here man. Stock jets in our MN cold right now, you should be running lean already. Something isn't right.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
What did you do for a snorkle, was it just a 90* elbow right out of the airbox and thats it? If so I'm thinking that the much shorter intake track would allow alot more air into the airbox, causing it to be lean. Putting your finger over the end of the snorkle cuts some air back and if that makes it run better then you are still running lean, even with the DAJ at full rich. The cold temps will cause it to run slightly leaner also compared to the hotter days of summer.
Another thing is that the DAJ only controls the main jet circuit, so if it is running fine up there the the main jets shouldn't need to be changed. Defintly needs to be richened up thuogh if restriciting the snorkle improves things.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hooked up my DAJ EXACTLY as shown and described in the instructions on this forum. One thing is, my DAJ was used, and didnt have the seals fro the holes i drilled for the fuel, and snorkel lines. Any ideas to seal those up right? Im sure its very minimal air leaking, but im sure every bit will help me. Also, yes, i have a 90 right off the airbox, with a 1 1/2 reducer on the end. I wanted to leave it 2", and hope for some serious power gains, but its just to lean that way without rejetting for some reason. :devil_angry: But a warmer temp should help in my favor for spring, right?

·
Registered
81 Posts
did you block of the old snorkle? got pics?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know what you mean by block off the old snorkles. My airbox was stock before i drilled holes in it for fuel lines, and snorkles for the DAJ. I just wonder if i have a good seal around the tubes going through the holes i drilled. If not, i may be getting just a tad bit more air in the airbox than i want.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to have a Prairie so I have done jetting a bunch of times (5-6) You first need a really good screwdriver Chraftsman #3 red and black handle. push as you turn and the screws come out real easy. If you have an aftermarket exhaust and close to sea level (under 1000') go with 150/147 R/F if stock exhaust go with my my current jetting 147/145 R/F. Go to your AC or Kawi dealer and have them order your jets (cheap).

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I think you may have two things going on here man. First, seal up those gaps. Go down to your local hardware store and buy some grommets...those will do the job for ya and it'll set you back about 50 cents. Secondly, your DAJ bodies may be damaged internally. There is no way that you can be running lean if you are set at full rich with 1.5" snorkels. No way. Either you are leaking in air somewhere and/or the DAJ body is not working as it's suppose to. You do know that you have to loosen the brass screw, THEN make your DAJ adjustments, then tighten the screw down again, right? Failure to do that (even once) can damage the DAJ body and the way it operates. They rebuild them at Thunder Products for $15 a piece if that's what the problem is.

The warmer temps will help, yes. Not to the degree that you are needing though. AGain, you have something else going on here...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sanny, i think you may have hit the nail on the head. I didnt get instructions with the DAJ, so without loosening the brass screw, i spun the dial on both of them, and i didnt spin them once, i spun them both all the way around, repeadedly! :oops: Now i have to pony up some more money to get them fixed im sure, and the quad sits again bang your head

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Jan 28 2007, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The warmer temps will help, yes. Not to the degree that you are needing though. AGain, you have something else going on here...[/b]
I agree fully with with Sanny and that the warmer temps will richen up the jetting slightly but probably not enough to compensate to run properly. Plus if you have to depend on the temperature then installing the DAJ was somewhat usless IMO. Actually for the cold temps of winter you would want to run the DAJ on full rich that way you can lean it out for the warmer summer temps or increase in altitude.
Though if you suspect a problem with the DAJ unit itself and that it is not working then get that sorted out before messing with any jetting. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts