Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Arctic Cat,

Please note that the ignition key protects the lock great till you pull it out and its snowing. The snow melts into the lock and then freezes. Please design a cap like the accessory plug has so that when the key is out we can cover it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have not had that problem yet, but I hate the location of the key. For me, it is hard to turn to engage the starter with gloves on. I would much prefer a push button on the handlebars like most other sleds have. Mounting the switch in a vertical position would be an improvment as well.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Dear Arctic Cat,

Please note that the ignition key protects the lock great till you pull it out and its snowing. The snow melts into the lock and then freezes. Please design a cap like the accessory plug has so that when the key is out we can cover it up.

Thanks.
I believe it is called a cover. They work Fantastic. Have never had a sled that I did not add a sled cover to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it is called a cover. They work Fantastic. Have never had a sled that I did not add a sled cover to it.
Really? You pack a cover anytime you are snowmobiling? When you go into a restaurant / bar you pull out your cover? When & if you do an overnight in another city, which I just did, you pack a cover?

Why don't you think before you speak.

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Dear Arctic Cat,

Thanks.
It does freeze pretty good. I thought about putting a slap of duct tape over the thing before parking for the night.
IMG-20120303-00663.jpg
We parked them hot during a snow squall. The wind was blowing pretty good overnight, so the snow melted onto everything. The '11 sled was pretty tough too, when we tried putting in the key.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It takes everyone awhile to notice all these little quirks going on with little to no snow. But us up here in northern Maine have been testing these this over all conditions and finding all the pros and cons! And this frozen key thing really sucks! Go in for lunch and come out to a frozen lock! Have to carry a can of lock de-over on all new arctic cats models I guess.....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Really? You pack a cover anytime you are snowmobiling? When you go into a restaurant / bar you pull out your cover? When & if you do an overnight in another city, which I just did, you pack a cover?

Why don't you think before you speak.
Because this is such a non issue compared to the other problems the sleds have been seeing. My wheeler freezes up on me from time to time. I just hold my fingers on it for a few seconds and it thaw's out with no problems what so ever.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Because this is such a non issue compared to the other problems the sleds have been seeing. My wheeler freezes up on me from time to time. I just hold my fingers on it for a few seconds and it thaw's out with no problems what so ever.
Do you really think that putting your finger on top of the key hole on this sled will melt the ice that is about 3/4" down? You must be very hot blooded.

Either way, a cover is not always a viable option, but perhaps bringing something along to put over the key hole would be a good idea... it's a "non issue" until you're the one sitting there trying to start your sled!!;)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine froze over lunch from falling snow and I just put my finger over it also and that did the trick.

I cover it now when the key is out if I'm stopping for any time.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
It needs a cover. We heated the key with a lighter and went right in one time. Was thinking to cut the teeth off a spare key and use that for a cover. Didnt try it yet though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Arctic Cat,

Thanks.
yes a rubber cap to protect the ignition lock would be great.... currently I use a wd40 cap.... with a plastic bag and a snowball on it so it doesn't blow away..... ill be hitting a shop looking for a perfect rubber cap one day I hope to find it.... had this problem 1 week of owning my 2014 snopro

·
Registered
124 Posts
yes a rubber cap to protect the ignition lock would be great.... currently I use a wd40 cap.... with a plastic bag and a snowball on it so it doesn't blow away..... ill be hitting a shop looking for a perfect rubber cap one day I hope to find it.... had this problem 1 week of owning my 2014 snopro
I never take my key out, if someone is going to steal it they will take it key or not. no moisture gets in mine ever.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never take my key out, if someone is going to steal it they will take it key or not. no moisture gets in mine ever.
Do not want to take a chance on loosing it ether, to many pockets in my gear to be fumbling around in the cold and then drop it in the snow,\.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I modified a tarp with bungee cords to carry on over night trips. Nice to pull it off for a dry seat!

I never take my key out, if someone is going to steal it they will take it key or not. no moisture gets in mine ever:

A carabiner clip hooked to the outside of a jacket goes a long way.

·
Administrator
7,890 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I modified a tarp with bungee cords to carry on over night trips. Nice to pull it off for a dry seat!
Tarp.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts