Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have some play where the front drive shaft goes into the front diff. ie. 1/8 of an inch side to side or up and down. Not rotational. 05/500.

WC

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
No, there should be no play in that. The driveshaft my rotate just a tad, but there should be no play in the UJoints or the shaft where they go into the diffy/engine case.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh oh! bang your head . Its out of warranty. Any ideas what I should do?

WC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, that sounds about right. The shaft that comes out of the front diff has a single roller bearing. So untill it splines with the pinion shaft(in 4x4), it will be a little sloppy. If that bearing is bad, most likely you will have an oil leak. If it isn't leaking, I wouldn't mess with it. Won't hurt anything. It isn't a big job antway. On my 650, I had to move the front diff forward to un-spline the driveshaft from the engine which was a pain, but I think the 500 driveshaft bolts to the engine. If that's the case, the hardest part is taking off the actuator. Which isn't that hard. Good luck dude.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks catwalk/ Sanny. I'll take a look at the manual to see if it has removal instructions. It's not leaking right now so I may leave it for a while.

WC

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine has had a wiggle in it for years. its the splines wore down and the spring getting weak. i put a 2x4 under my driveshaft to keep it up in place.. i just need to keep the diffs from tearing up..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts