Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an HMF last week on my 05 vtwin and i took it out for ride on saturday. All i can say is wow on the performance upgrade. I like the sound but i wish it was a tad quieter. Only problem i had was that the added power shattered one of my front cvs i am afraid that my differential gears may have gone with it. I had the diff lock on and now i can't get it to engage or the 4x4. I am going to take it apart this week to see all of the damage.

I checked out the heaton arctic cat page web page and they have a 4.0 rear diff for a reasonable price but no front. Does anybody know if i have to swap both front and rear at the same time if i swap to 4.0 gears?

·
Registered
30 Posts
eekkk I belive so, if the factory comes with a different gear ratio you could cause some damage when your in 4 wheel drive like wearing out tires faster or breaking the axle shafts but if its the same ratio theres no problem there, but check with your local dealer for your gear ratio :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Iam putting in a new rear diff in mine with 4.0s and my front is 3.6s but iam going to run my 27' swamplites on the front with my 29.5" laws on the rear to make up for the gearing difference untill i get the 4.0s for the front..

you can use different gears if your real carfull and dont leave it in 4wd for very long unless your in mudd other wise the front will get in a bind because the back will be spinning faster...

·
Registered
404 Posts
what kind of top speed do you lose with the lower gears?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip on cat bargins. Somebody must have snatched up the the rear diff because i couldn't find it.

I just emailed them asking when another will be up for auction.

I can say this, my bike will be a monster with 4.0 gears. Watch out axels!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
No problem. They have those 4.0 diffy's on there all the time, so they should be able to hook you up in short fashion.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Sorry to disagree but if you run different gears between front and back, your going to break even more stuff. Let it sit until you get your new diffs, otherwise you'll be spending even more $$$$.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I think you can run the different gears, but for your average guy, it's highly unadviseable. Contact CatBargains and ask if they have one. I asked them about a secondary (mine is beat up) and they had one brand new that wasn't on Ebay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been thinking that it may not be my diff that is bad.

I swear that after i heard the crack of my cv breaking i still had 3 tires spinning.

Once i got pulled out of the hole i disengaged my 4x4 and the diff lock.

I tried to engage both of them now and nothing.

I don't get the little buzz from the actuator now and the diff lock dosen't feel like it is as hard to turn it over.

I am thinking that it may be my actuator went bad in the water right after my axle snapped.

Does the actuator control the diff lock???

Does this make sense that the actuator could have fried at the same time?

I haven't taken my bike apart yet because i am still a little mad at it, i plan on tooling around with it tonight.

I am still searching ebay for the rear diff with 4.0 gears and if i see one i am going to snatch it up when i see one (front is still up there).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts