Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed the other day while plowing on 04 400,with no lockers the right front wheel was not spinning.when i was pushing alot of snow i know that it is limited slip but it didnt seem like it was working.so i took off the plow went into some deep snow it would spin but it just didnt seem right. could this be a going bad cv or somthing more, doesnt sound like any clunking or clicking. any way to check ive pulled on the axle doesnt seem to move

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I don't know about the '04 but my stepson's '03 would only pull one wheel and it was always the right one, never the left one. I was told it was an open diff. no locker or limited slip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dunno about that Cat differential but sounds like either a limited slip (power to wheel not in a bind) or a clutch pack in the differential is wore and needs new "clutches" in the differential. Next time you are noticing it, pull in the front brake lever and see if it starts to pull again. If so, its just like a Honda diff = 3wd

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I have an 04 400 auto with solid rear axle. Curiosity got the best of me so I went out and jacked up the front end. Both tires spin the same direction so it is not open. I doubt it's limited slip, so that leaves locked.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I haven't found one. Pretty sure my front diff is locked full time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine is not locked. wish it was.I'll jack it up tomorrow in look into this problem iam having, if iam having a problem that is.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
The '04 400's have a limited slip differential and didn't have a locker available. Although all the others all have limited slip and have the locker too.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
If they spin oposite directions you have an open diff. Same direction either posi or locked. No spin, you have problems.

Probably just another difference between FIS and ACT and your bike is fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i asked the same question to my dealer about the limited slip, and he said i should buy a new gear (500$can gear only), but he said i cant expect to get to much from limited slip differential, i wish i had it locked too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts