Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Haven't been on for a long time. Too long. Alot has happened since. I made some bad decisions and became an addict. Eventually went to rehab, 2 1/2yrs clean n sober. Life is alot different. Been off my ATVs, trying to get back into it. Thanx to any of you for not passing judgement. Not everyone is immune to the opioid epidemic.

Okaaaaay........ My problem......

Went to start my 2013 500autoEFI

Started briefly, then died/wouldn't restart

It's a no-no, but tried starting it holding
throttle open, no go

Started troubleshooting. Opened up air
box, element chewed to particles,
fiberglass insulation mix. Due to me
holding throttle open, the crap
got sucked all the way through
And into the head.

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?

I took it apart and blew all I could out, still won't start. Figured maybe run a compression check? Tear throttle body itself appart and clean? This is a horrible development. What you guys suggest? T.I.A.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Well now that you're better let's get to your atv issue. I would remove exhaust pipe off cylinder and vacuum it out just in case unburnt material got in there. Pull airbox and clean out good. You could pull plug and try vacuum from there too with a small enough tip.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Glad to hear you came out the other side !

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already did that. Still no start. I'm gonna try to learn how to check compression, but I wouldn't think soft material like that would hold a valve open? Anyways, idt I'm getting gas. Can the dealer clean and repair the throttle body?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Door! I remember you!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any chance something needs reset to squirt some gas?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Is the plug wet or dry?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't checked since I pulled all the crap out. Before, it was dry and clean, like new.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see this situation much different than someone "swamping" an ATV. They are repairable with something like this right? Lol. This thing looks like new yet. Just need some direction on what to do. Sux.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
If anything all you’ve done is affected air flow. If you know you have cleaned the air intake system it may just be an old fuel in the line issue.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drain tank and put fresh fuel?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drain tank and fresh gas?

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess what I'm trying to ask, what's the chances gas and the contamination has the throttle body itself mucked up? I'm gonna:

1. Do a compression check
2. Figure out how to drain tank (?), Put fresh
Gas in
3. If still not running, find somebody
to go through the throttle body. Would
the dealer do that?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
There is nothing to it, you can clean it out yourself. Don’t stress it’s no big deal. You’ll get it.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Get a small hand pump and should be able to pump out from the fill. I wouldn't be surprised 1 or both valves are stuck slightly open from fiberglass, etc. Compression test will show. Download a service manual, if you end up removing the cylinder head. I'd be checking out ways of eliminating mice, etc. I had a squirrel that lived in my house all winter! That bastid was sooo sneaky! Finally, heard a commotion inside a garbage can under my sink. .22 bird shot in my trusty Marlin 39 lever action, end of my unwanted house guest. Perhaps you can borrow a cat?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah, I gotta do some mousin'!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, where do I find the "pinned" section for a manual download?

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Well since the mice got in have you checked the rest of the air plumbing under the front rack area? It wraps around the rad fill and is full of baffles to keep water out. They may have built a nest up their as well. I would also check the clutch to make sure they did not nest in their.
may want to pull the injector after you get some fresh fuel and place it in a pop bottle or something and crank it over and make sure its spraying fuel..

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts