Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my buddy has a 02 ZL 600 EFI... this is exactly what he told me on aim today..

"Fox Racing 0074 (9:15:31 PM): well it was boggin out if u got on the throttle hard and then i changed the reeds and it back fires and wont go fast but u can still feel it hit the power band if u go realy easy on the gas untill like 6500 rpms then u can put it to the bar and it will go"

he said this started messing up after he put the boysen reeds in it today, but it was boging, he said its been boging for about a week n new reeds might help out

its all stock except for the boysen reeds and a clutch kit

any one have a clue?? TSS is already unpluged he said

please reply asap gotta get him back on trail... thanks

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Sure sounds like the TSS ... especially if he goes easy and then still gets full power. Does it make a difference with the throttle position? Meaning, can he "push down" on the flipper while squeezing, or even push up on it while giving it throttle? The mention of reed petals would make sense, but if he's getting full power by easing on the gas ... to me that sounds like TSS. Is he sure he's got the right wires unplugged for the TSS?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok little update to this... he ment the kill switch dosnt work.. its not unpluged..

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (free2reem @ Feb 21 2007, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he said this started messing up after he put the boysen reeds in it today, but it was boging, he said its been boging for about a week n new reeds might help out[/b]
OK, I'm a little unsure making sense of the timeline... First he says the trouble started after he installed the reeds. Then he says it's been bogging for a week and thinks new reeds might help.

Didn't he just say he installed reeds?

So am I to understand that the bogging only started after he changed the reeds? Or that it the bogging started a week before he installed the reeds?

Clarifying the timeline of the 'bogging' events may help us understand if his installation of the reeds caused the problem or not.

If it did, he may have created an air leak. If the rubber carb flanges were already aged and close to a leak, just bending them in the reed swap process may have caused them to finally leak. Old dried rubber only cracks more when flexed. Might need new boots. Or... He's got a leak between the carb & reed cage, or between the reed cage & motor.

He can check for a leak the standard ways... While the engine is running, spray some oil onto the boots. If the oil disappears, the rubber is toast and leaks. Can also be tested with propane.

I don't know the answer, because this forum medium isn't quite like a hands-on diagnosis. His statement is a little bit confusing, the timeline part. If it's been bogging a week before, or only after he did the reed swap.

I'll bet he's somehow created an air leak. That's the first thing to check anyway. If he does have an air leak but continues to ride it, he risks burn-down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts