Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Firecat 700 SNO PRO and my shocks are in serious need of a rebuild.
First question Can I do it my self or do I need special tools?

Second Question If not how much should I have to pay to get them rebuilt at the dealer? FYI my dealer said $175 per shock plus parts and that seems a little steep to me but I really have no Idea what is involved.

Help..
:site:

·
Registered
130 Posts
you'd have to buy a few things like a aluminum clamp for your vise, nitrogen, oil prob a few tools. If you have a performance manual it tells you what you'd need. I took mine in on my 00 snopro my2cents Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeah, $175 for all of them maybe.WOW thats a ripp off, I had mine done for $25 per shock and those were clicker shocks with wieght transfer adjuster for my 98 ZR440

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (power23 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$175 per shock is outrageous! Watch out for that dealer, he is trying to dick you over big time.[/b]
for sure,,, talk about putting it where the sun doesn't shine :eek:

Is the guys name Ben??

With the last name Dover??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow, my guess is that dealer is trying to make up for his looses on his inventory, Did you even bother asking what his oil or belts cost? I could bet they are well over listed price in the Cat catolog.

Did you as for his hourly shop rate is?

·
Registered
172 Posts
175 per shock is high but does that include labor to pull the shocks off and put them back on? My buddy dropped off his 04 F7 at a dealer and picked it up getting all shocks rebuilt and that cost almost 5 bills.

If you take off all the shocks and drop them off should be able to get them all done for less than half of that. I'm guessing around 50 per shock for all the parts and oil.

I looked into it once and all the needed tools, gas, oil and everyting needed was around a 1200-1500 investment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The labour rate is 90 bucks per hour CDN, the $175 includes oil, rebuild kit and honing(?). And I drop off the shocks at the dealer and pick them up when they are done. They say that you need the rebuild kit ($75.00 per shock) and it is not worth doing unless you use the kit.

I would send them to the ODS if I didn't have to wait so long for shipping, cause I don't think you can ship them via air.

This sucks..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out shock-tech.com. The guy's name is Eric Seyfarth in Bethel Maine. He is really fast and honest. Usually around $13.00 (US) to ship em from MI to ME. Had them there and back home in a week.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (black04F6 @ Jan 8 2007, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lewny Tools[/b]
I think Bill's got a new nickname,, slaphappy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (North04_F7 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
honing(?)[/b]
(?????) here too,,,, wtf??, did those guys bump their heads or what? you do not ''hone'' shock bodies inside (unless he meant ''polishing'', highly unlikely though), it'll completely ruin the innards whole principle and not dampen properly, let alone prematurely wear the teflon strips and the such out

you'd best (for your wallet and satisfaction) find someone else,, this guy sounds like a scam artist, your shock's will wear out shortly, then what??,, buy a new set from him?? :stop_nono:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey All,

Got my sled back from the dealer with the Rear shocks rebuilt, and I have added a set of "big boy" springs and now I remember why I love my firecat so much.

The sled just feels right, I have also replaced the components from the steering post. The sled feels new again.

worth every cent. Cat happy

In the words of ODS DAN..........RIP IT UP!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts