Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am swapping the flywheel and stator from my broken motor to another motor, anything I should know?

Timing issues etc? Or is it straight forward, make the swap and go?

·
Registered
492 Posts
If its same to same you will not have a issue,with the stator in the exact same placement you will be damn close on timing,if not spot on but I would still get the spec mark out the flywheel with some yellow paint at the proper mark and clamp a light on it just to be sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never timed a anything other than a car motor...so am not sure what needs to be moved to adjust the timing, or even where the light gets attached to...

·
Registered
492 Posts
What motor is this exactly,and these things time like a car with the same light on a spark plug wire depending on what model it is it may be unmoveable,there are timing marks on the flywheel like a car and marks on the magneto housing to the left of the rewind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am pulling the stator out of my 1993 EXT 550 EFI, and putting it into a 1996 580 EFI, in which the stator and flywheel are the same part number.

So with the motor installed, its possible to to adjust the timing?

I need to get a good manual, any suggestions?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey Lad just took a look in my 96 580 manual and it looks like some of the 580 motors were adjustable and some not,if the plate holding the stator down has slots and you are able to move it back and forth then it is adjustable,in that case hook a light to the mag side wire,power the timing light off a battery,and with belt on and the track securely off the ground rthe engine rpm to 4000 check the marks should be at 30 degrees acording to my book.If there are no slots then its plug and play.Manuals for your sled are still available at Arctic Cat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts