Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The footpegs have been removed, as they cause great discomfort on long 100-150 mile rides if you ride standing. Not having the peg there also allows you to move your foot around to the optimum positions as needed on the fly. The rubber covering over the floor boards allows mud to be squished through instead of accumulating. They provide excellent traction too, as long as you have an aggressive sole on your shoes/boots.

The outside 'flare' serves as a fender extension to deflect flying mud. It's made of Krazy Karpet (thin gauge polyethylene), it's flexible, almost indestructible, inexpensive, easy to work with, and weighs almost nothing.

The inside engine covers aren't to hide the motor, their primary purpose is to keep mud flying from the opposite side. I wear hikers during the warmer weather, it helps avoid unnecessary soakings that come from the tires splashing. Yes, if you go deep it's not much help. But in the summer our trails dry up quite a bit, and with this extra protection, it's nice to make it through the day without a soaker just from the splashes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
:goodmod: actually great mods, I have seen them in action and I know they work, in fact I have also done these or am going to do them, my floorboards are the same, and I just need to get the inside engine covers done.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I wish Arctic Cat offered a 'kit' for the older models. They could make it a lot nicer than I can with all their tooling & resources.

They did have a fender extension kit, but it didn't do much for the footwell area when the splashes came from underneath the belly from the wheels on the other side. Plus, if looks matter... The fender extension kits were kind of ugly and seemd to be a crude primitive add-on. Who wants to buy expensive crude & ugly stuff anyway? :lol:

The newer body styles have a more 'finished' look in the foot area & floorboards. But I prefer the older steel floorboards, especially since the peg has been replaced with the rubber mat. The newer floorboards seem flimsy & fragile compared to the older all-steel floorboards IMO. They're probably OK though.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I ever take them off, I should just trace them for a template. Same for the inner fender liners.

If someone who runs a small business supplying ATV parts & accessories, they could easily add them to their parts list.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Snazzy, and I like the beer...i mean water holder. Looks good AG.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beaulieus @ May 8 2007, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rockerdude Where do you buy that stuff I might do it to mine :sure_ok:[/b]
I don't know if you can buy Krazy Karpet where you live... Do you get any reasonable amounts of snow in your area?

If you do, it should be available at department stores where the sell sleds & toboggans for kids. Krazy Karpet is just a sheet of polyethylene with a shiny side, kids sit on it and rocket down a snowy hill.

If you can find it, you might be able to get it in just about any colour. I've even seen in it Cat green... Well, maybe not exact, but pretty close.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (caper @ May 8 2007, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Snazzy, and I like the beer...i mean water holder. Looks good AG.[/b]
Yeah... Combine an ATV with a bicycle water bottle cage, you get an gasoline powered instant beer foam maker! :lol: :chug:

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh... Forgot to mention... The engine side covers are just pieces cut from a junked pickup truck bed liner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts