Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my carb apart 4 times now and cleaned it good all 4 times and it is still leaking. You can ride it about 200yds and gas is pouring out of the bowl drain in a steady stream. The bike runs like a top even with the gas flowing out of it. What is going on? Is my float sticking, if so why and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Either the float is sticking or you still have trash in there pushing the needle up. Soak it overnight in a gallon can of carb cleaner and try again. Wash it out with water and blow compressed air throuogh every hole you can find. If you see anything in there that won't come out with air you may need a small pipe cleaner or wire brush to assist getting it out.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
float level could be set to high or a bad float needle and seat also.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the float level and it is correct, the float desn't have a hole in it and I just gotthrough carb cleaning the whizz out of it again. With the float bowl drain screw tight gas will still leak out of it, could there be something wrong with the screw fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
With the float bowl drain screw tight gas will still leak out of it, could there be something wrong with the screw fit?[/b]
I doubt it unless there is something caught in the seat of the drain screw preventing it from sealing. Possibility if it was opened once and then closed down on a grain or sand or something. Pull out the drain screw out, inspect the screw tip and the seat visually to insure it looks normal. That nipple on the bottom of the bowl is both the bowl drain and the float bowl overflow. If the drain screw is not AFU'd, then the float needle is leaking and not shutting off fuel when the float bowl is full, float stuck, or float level is too high. the causes of you problem are quite limited here.

When cleaning, are you removing the float and float needle and blowing air through the gasoline inlet of the carburetor? Have you closely inspected the tip of the float needle to insure it looks good, rubber tip on it intact? Does it have a float needle even? Looking into the port of where the float needle is installed, does the seat look good? Was the float level 17MM? Could the floats be rubbing against the center tower where the overflow tube is and hanging up? when reinstalling are you putting it back together correctly?

If all is installed well, you should be able to blow with your mouth into the gasoline intake and have air flow with the carburetor upright, if you then invert the carburetor, Gravity should then close the float needle and you will not be able to blow through the gas inlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts