Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a complete loss with my carb.. I was having major flooding issues with my bike,, I lost a tank of gas over night magically, Turned out it was in my crank case!!.. I ordered new float valve and seat and installed it today. I tested the valve and it worked great on the bench once in the bike, the bike would start run for abit then eventually stall at that point fuel would come flowing out of the main Jet. So I checked the float level and adjusted it up to what the manual said 14mm.. tried again and same problem. I adjusted it higher.. tested the carb on the bench and everything seems fine!! once in the bike with the fuel hooked up everything is still fine once I start and run the bike fuel comes out of the jet!?? WTF? I actual had fuel flowing out of the carb while the bike was running.. I have no idea what the problem is.. the float has no holes in it I've tested it.. I even put the carb in a clear container full of water so Id could see the float working it does,, once the float is up I can't blow air in the fuel line. But once it's in the bike and the bike runs once fuel just flows freely..

I'm at a loss I have no idea what's going on.. Anyone have any suggestions!???

Thanks

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
What year and size?

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
If you shut your fuel off and it still filled your crankcase I would be looking at your petcock to start

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I didn't shut my fuel off.. I know I should but I forget alot.. either way float still should let the tank empty like that
Actually quite normal and common. What it should not do is pour out the overflow or have a liquid drip out the overflow drain. All float needles leak a very tiny amount, most of the time the leak is so tiny that gasoline evaporates before it can drip. Given enough time it will drain the tank dry on the older overhead tank design. That is why on the old cats with an overhead tank they installed a shut off valve and on the new cats the tank is below the carburetor level and a fuel pump is used. If you do have a visible steady drip or leakage out the overflow, then it's probably time to replace the float needle or you have a float sticking or an level adjustment issue.

When trailering or hauling to and from a riding location it is very common for the float needle to leak from vibration since there is no fuel being consumed by an running engine. The tip on the needle takes a lot of punishment from the jarring and vibration form normal riding and a groove in the rubber tip is created. If the needle does not shut off in the exact same position on the groove every time it shuts off it may leak a very tiny amount. It might be 99.5 percent sealed off, the 0.5 percent will leak and it is normal unless you change the needle often. When the engine is running a tiny leak like this doesn't matter cause the fuel is being burned faster then the leak. If the leakage is filling you crankcase with gas then you may have a blocked float needle overflow port.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem isn't a slow leak over several weeks over time. my problem is a constant flow that will drain my tank in minutes even while the bike is at idle. Like I mentioned Brand New Float valve and Seat and I've re-adjusted my Float level several times, everything tests fine on the bench, tests fine hooked up to my tank but once I run the bike the fuel just pours out of the carb through the main Jet.

I've adjusted my Needle valve aswell down the the leanest setting with the same result.

Where is the float overflow port?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the issue.. I accidently had the 2 vents on the top of the carb joined together.. I put a new set of rings in lately and it'sbeen a slow 5-6 rebuild process just lack of time-motivation.. I must have joined the 2 together thinking that the way it was supposed to be.

I'm assuming the carb was building pressure forcing the fuel out through the jet. once freed the vent line all is well. My new problem is the bike won't run without the choke on. So now I just have to adjust the idle and air fuel mixture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts