Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to measure carburetor float height on a 05 500 FIS?
The manual says to measure the float arm with calipers and that it should be 17 mm.,
but is not clear where to measure from or to. bang your head

I know most are measured from carb. bowl mounting surface to somewhere on the float.
Any help would be appreciated.

BTW. I am doing this because fuel is dripping from the carb. drain/overflow.
I suspect float height.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have a 2006 500 4x4 manual and has been to the dealer 4 times for fuel leaks from the bowl drain they first tried adjusting the float then replaced needle and seat still leaked then replaced the float assembly and it still leaks i want a new carb but arctic cat says its going to leak so i put a hose on it to drain under the bike but for the first 900 miles it never leaked now arctic cat now has told my dealer it is from the gas tank being pressurized but me and the dealer have both checked all the vent hoses and all are clear and driving 30 miles to let the dealer try to fix it i said the hell with it its just going to leak wish it wasnt all the time
good luck on fixing your leak let me know what you did to stop it
also have added a fuel filter the dealer gave me might try that could have crap in the needle

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
add an additional 2 mm to float heights (from bowl gasket surface to highest point of floats with no pressure on spring loaded tip of plunger), this will drop fuel level close to 3 mm overall and not affect jetting,, i've found most carbs on later model machines with both mikuni and kehein as well to have fuel levels above what is necessary for proper function and a tendency to almost constantly leak :Bangin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

Travz500, I checked the float bowl & needle for dirt but could find nothing.
Installed fuel filter for good measure. I am going to try adding a few mm. to float height
like C-note suggested, now that I know where to measure from & to.

I'll let you know if it worked.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone know where to measure carburetor float height on a 05 500 FIS?
The manual says to measure the float arm with calipers and that it should be 17 mm.,
but is not clear where to measure from or to. bang your head

I know most are measured from carb. bowl mounting surface to somewhere on the float.
Any help would be appreciated.

BTW. I am doing this because fuel is dripping from the carb. drain/overflow.
I suspect float height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts