Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A feller I worked for, this past fall, great guy, but limited mechanical skills, has 2 95 indy 500's, he had and wern't running properly. So I offered to look and fix them.

He had told me, that both of them, had the engines rebuilt last winter, and neither one of them " performed" they way they should.

So, I have one of them here now, and started going thru the ussual suspects. Carbs, plugs etc. Yup, 1 carb is plugged, in one of the pilot jet passages, so while it was soaking, deiced to look at the suspension.

And too my Horror, discovered that someone had cranked the track tension as tight as it would go.2 wheel bearings are completly gone, and messed up the shafts, a set of spacers is burnt off, almost every other bearing is shot, and the hifax is burned off. And of course, since he is a farmer.. lol... baler twine is wrapped up in several bearings....

Got my work cut out for me anyways..... lol

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Sounds like you're in for some real fun.

Just did a similar sort of favour and took a look at a snowblower. Not really having any history, did the normal stuff like check the oil and add some gas. figured I'd start it up and ran ok for a bit then started to sound real funny.

Next thing I know there's a broken connecting rod sticking through a 1.5" hole in the crankcase.

These crazy things we get ourselves into at times.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya definatly got my work cut out... I was reasembleing the skid, new bearings, sliders etc, and today, discovered the Front A arm is pooched. Cracked on both sides of the center pivot/shock mount,and missing about an inch and a half of tubeing on one side.....Local wrecker thinks he has one that will fit... if not, guess its fabrication time.

Had hoped to have it back up and running, and drop it off either xmas day or boxing day, woulda made a nice presant of sorts.. lol.. especially seeing as we are in the middle of a good dumping of snow... 6 to 12 inches in the forcast.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, got the indy back together tonight and she is running pretty decent. The repaired A arm seems to be holding up and working fine. Man, the thing goes pretty good. Might actually give my 84 tiger a run for its money..lol

Couple of minor adjustments to make, double check the track, etc, and prob up the idle speed a bit. Am thinking 1200 is is a lil low. Should be closer to 2000 - 2300 I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts