Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I've posted about this before but I have found more problems. After I crashed my atv It didnt ride the same. So I started looking.
Here is the problems.

Screen is cracked
Frame is broke around the wheel
Brush guard is bent
and the Shifter rubs agianst the side now

What Should I do. It's only 2 months old and I cant take it to the dealer because that will probly void the warranty. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sounds like she is twisted up pretty bad...what happened? Perhaps you should look into getting a new frame and swap everything over. Hopefully someone else come by with some input.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was Kind of side hilling, Not too steep. And the left wheel Went end over end. Dad said the suspension was bound up which caused it to flip. So I dunno.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Are you sure they will void it? Is it modded up? I would think they would be more inclined to void it if they discover you did the repairs yourself. At least parts of it anyway. There is no way they would cover a frame you welded up yourself for example. IMO.

Insurance isn't an option I take it?

There is no way to get around the frame IMO. If you weld it up, they will probably notice.
If you order a new one, they will probably want your VIN to stamp in the new frame to keep it the same. So AC will know.

I don't think they void warranty for cars that have been in accidents, can't see an atv being any different. Ask your dealer what he figures, "off the record" so to speak.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (caper @ Apr 9 2007, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...getting a new frame and swap everything over.[/b]
That's what I would do. Except I wouldn't care so much if the dealer knew... There's nothing wrong with repairing things yourself if the breakage/damage was an accident.

The key is, if you repair it yourself, it would be a good idea to 'do it by the book' (shop manual) so you cannot be refused warranty later.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Apr 9 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (caper @ Apr 9 2007, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...getting a new frame and swap everything over.[/b]
That's what I would do. Except I wouldn't care so much if the dealer knew... There's nothing wrong with repairing things yourself if the breakage/damage was an accident.

The key is, if you repair it yourself, it would be a good idea to 'do it by the book' (shop manual) so you cannot be refused warranty later.
[/b][/quote]

I have a good friend who has been a welder for 28 years. I'll have him fix that, But what about the screen and Shifter. The brush guard isnt so much of an issue seeing as I can just hook a rope around it and slowly back up to bend it back in place.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Apr 9 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The key is, if you repair it yourself, it would be a good idea to 'do it by the book' (shop manual) so you cannot be refused warranty later.[/b]
I edited my post as some of it sounded wrong, there is nothing wrong in doing it yourself at all. I just think on the frame, if you do a structural repair yourself, AC will not likely cover it after, as they have no way of insuring the quality of work. Other then that I would do as much as myself as possible.I would even weld it myself if I couldn't do it through the dealer for a reasonable price, just be prepared down the road that your frame may never be covered for anything if you go it alone. If it is really twisted up, a frame swap would be the best option.

And I'm unclear what the "screen" is. Can someone explain this to me?

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Molsondrinkr @ Apr 9 2007, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Apr 9 2007, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The key is, if you repair it yourself, it would be a good idea to 'do it by the book' (shop manual) so you cannot be refused warranty later.[/b]
I edited my post as some of it sounded wrong, there is nothing wrong in doing it yourself at all. I just think on the frame, if you do a structural repair yourself, AC will not likely cover it after, as they have no way of insuring the quality of work. Other then that I would do as much as myself as possible.I would even weld it myself if I couldn't do it through the dealer for a reasonable price, just be prepared down the road that your frame may never be covered for anything if you go it alone. If it is really twisted up, a frame swap would be the best option.

And I'm unclear what the "screen" is. Can someone explain this to me?

Later
Molsondrinkr
[/b][/quote]

The Frame isn't that terrible. Its just slighty bent up around the front left tire. Very slighty Looks quiet easy to fix.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
i agree you should inform your dealer or get another dealers opinion. off roading thats what these machines are made for unfortunately the wilderness catches you off guard sometimes. i think we have all or most of us rolled our atvs or put them on the side at one time or another some out of stupidity and some not ive had both stupid and not but ive been lucky. but i wont always be. but anyways the dealer should be aware that your going to do a frame swap. i personally wouldnt weld my frame no matter what its like $500 for a new one yet expensive well worth it in my book. a brush bar is like $150 no biggie yet what i get from your post your your a bit on the younger side so $150 may seem high. so look on ebay or on here in the parts swap alot of people buy new brushbars and dump the old ones cheap. and your shifter linkage is prob bent try to bend it back if that isnt possible there are sites that have all the parts you would need. but again inform your dealer waybe he will work with you. dont half A$$ the repairs though that will screw you in the long run. with cat and your dealer especially if he sees shotty workmanship. good luck in whatever you do though it sucks when stuff like this happens i hope i dont have to deal with it . i would like atv insurance but they dont carry it where i live so im s.o.l but just be smart you said it yourself 5 yrs to pay for it make it last that long before a corner you cut haunts you again in the future.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would swap the frame. Just as in vehicles a tweaked frame is never quite the same. Once the frame is fixed just buy all the other parts that were damaged and need to be replaced to make the bike run. I wouldnt worry to much about the cosmetic issues. Insurance is also a great option if you had it. I purchased it on my ATV the day it rolled off the lot. I even asked the question about what would happen if I did damage it offroad. I was told if you want to pay your deductable and the increase in your premiums we will take care of it. Well worth the peace of mind in my book even if I dont use it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I suppose it isn't Such a Big deal. However, I'm Still curious about the Monitor cost if it would need to be replaced. Everything Else I believe will be no problem. Thanks for the responces everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arcticmike91 @ Apr 9 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes, I suppose it isn't Such a Big deal. However, I'm Still curious about the Monitor cost if it would need to be replaced. Everything Else I believe will be no problem. Thanks for the responces everyone.[/b]
Are you talking the LCD screen? The speedo and stuff?
I see them on ebay quite often, keep an eye out.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would go and see if its covered just to be on the safe side...also full coverage atv insurance is cheap and well worth the peace of mind. it cost me 120 a year for full coverage...also get gap insurance, if the bike is totalled and you owe more than the insurance co. says its worth the gap covers this....also gives you 1,000$ to shop for a new one.. goodluck...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just keep in mind that the price of a new frame could be more than 50% of the cost of just buying a new quad.

When my brother-in-law crashed (rolled) one of our TRVs, the insurance covered the work (thankfully), but there was like $4000 worth of damage to it.

If you try and buy the frame alone, I think MSRP on it was like $2800 or something crazy like that.

You're going to pay through the nose for arctic cat parts, because there is no "after market" option, its all factory parts....

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Babbits doesn't list a price for 2007 for some reason.

The 06 on Babbits lists for $454, probably the same frame.

$2800 is way out of line. My whole frame swap at the dealer was under $1600CDN. It was warranty though. (Crappy 04 frame).

Later
MOlsondrinkr

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thats really interesting! I can't remember where I got the price, but I think it was from calling a local dealer here in California...

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
A few years ago when i rolled my 03-500 i filed an insurance claim and it was all fixed. I pd my deductable and that was it.. My insurance never went up. i have had state farm for the past 13-years and that was my first claim. If you have insurance use it. thats what it's there for.

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts