Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying this sled, the owner states:
1994 arctic cat zr 440 snowmobile 1100 original miles 440 2 cyl not in bad shape but needs a rebuild, one of the pistons skirts cracked. has fox racing shocks all around.

Does this sound for real? How do i fix a cracked piston skirt and is it an easy fix? Why wouldn't he fix it?
What are some things i can do or look for when going to look at this sled?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats the sled on Pa craigslist, id stay away from it. there was another 1 on there yesterday in the leighigh section that was same price and ran good! Your gonna have to have the entire motor re done on that sled. If the skirt broke the cyl. is toast and got peices in the bottom end too

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thats the sled on Pa craigslist, id stay away from it. there was another 1 on there yesterday in the leighigh section that was same price and ran good! Your gonna have to have the entire motor re done on that sled. If the skirt broke the cyl. is toast and got peices in the bottom end too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, your right, it is on Pa. craigs list. i saw it was deleted yesterday, and now it is back for sale. I am thinking he bought it and found out it needs more work then he thought. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If it is just a cracked skirt, replace both pistons/rings and ride.Now if it broke and bounced around a bit, there may be other issues....would scare me for the right money..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edski @ Nov 16 2009, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am thinking about buying this sled, the owner states:
1994 arctic cat zr 440 snowmobile 1100 original miles 440 2 cyl not in bad shape but needs a rebuild, one of the pistons skirts cracked. has fox racing shocks all around.

Does this sound for real? How do i fix a cracked piston skirt and is it an easy fix? Why wouldn't he fix it?
What are some things i can do or look for when going to look at this sled?[/b]
I would ask him who inspected it. If its a cat shop, you may be ok if you can call to verify. If he said he did, look for markings on the head bolts. If there is no marks on the bolts, its never been apart. You could also bring a comp. tester and see how much is in each cyl.. Whats the price? If its dirt cheap it may not be a bad deal. I wouldnt believe him if he says he looked in the exaust port. That wont show you much of the real damage there can be in the cyl.. Also, why did it crack. And if you do replace the pistons, is it going to happ. rite away again. Alot of what ifs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he wants $400 for it. He said his friend inspected it and determined to be a cracked skirt. He said i can crack the bolts and look at it. Never did this before though, what should i do?

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edski @ Nov 17 2009, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he wants $400 for it. He said his friend inspected it and determined to be a cracked skirt. He said i can crack the bolts and look at it. Never did this before though, what should i do?[/b]
Walk and buy something running.
You are talking about buying a non running 16 year old snowmobile???? deadh0rse

That was Cat's first go at the 440 race sled market. They had a butt load of problems with that sled when it was new.
Also 1100 miles on a 16 year old snowmobile, That thing was sitting around for a long time, was the engine fogged properly, the crank bearings are probably rusty and will fail within a couple hundred miles.
I would run as fast as I can away from it and buy a running sled.
Mike

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edski @ Nov 17 2009, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he wants $400 for it. He said his friend inspected it and determined to be a cracked skirt. He said i can crack the bolts and look at it. Never did this before though, what should i do?[/b]
You take off the exhaust y-pipe to check the skirt on the exhaust side and remove the carb to check the skirt on the intake side. You should need a 10mm wrench for the nuts on the y-pipe and a Phillips screw driver to loosen the clamp on the carbs. You should do whatever you want. Either check it out, buy it and fix it, or don't. If oyu buy an old sled be prepared to spend a bunch of time and money fixing it and be prepared it work on it yourself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wouldnt be scared of that sled, buy it, rebuild it or part it out, you would definetly triple your money or you could bring it to michigan and I would buy it from you....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts