Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well there's finally enough snow in the UP so we loaded up the sleds and went to Ishpeming on Friday and Watersmeet on Saturday.

The trails were thin in Ishpeming, but once you went a little north on trail 5 there was around a foot and a half of snow. Trails were in good shape a little bumpy in some areas but good. We ran in to a lot of HEAVY LES had to pull over several times to clear our shields and goggles so we could see. We ended up in Big Bay, got gas and turned around and went back to Ishpeming and had lunch and headed back to our house in Northeastern WI.

On Saturday we trailered up to Watersmeet -17 friggen below. Trails were IMO poor to fair. A lot of rocks branches and gravel. We went over to Lake Gogebic to open my CF1000 up, had 225 miles on it. When I started to hit 60mph there was a wierd vibration and got worse as I went faster. The vibration wasn't there at all when we rode on Friday in Ishpeming. I pulled it over to take a look and found nothing wrong. Got back on and started to open her up again at about 80 the vibration got less and at 95 the belt literly blew up. Looking at the secondary the cords from the belt were wraped around the bolt and shims that hold the secondary on to the shaft. I had to take the secondary completely off to unwrap the cords. I was EXTREMELY suspicious that the bolt had loosened up causing the vibration and blowing the belt. I could find NO evidence of abnormal wear on the spleened shaft or the ID of the secondary. The bolt after the belt blowing was out around 1/2 inch or more. I put it all back together and it seemed to work fine no vibration, until I put it in reverse and backed up, put it back in forward and the reverse beeper wouldn't shut off. I drove it for around 20 miles with it beeping stopping frequently to check the secondary bolt and to push the reverse button to see if it would stop beeping. The first couple of checks it wouldn't even go in reverse. Finally after around 20 miles it stopped beeping. This morning I put it in the garage and checked it all out and all is working fine now, go figure.

A couple other things that concern me is the oil light flashes way to much, but I've been told this is a common issue with the Firecats and the Crossfires and not to worry about it, it's fine

Another is the oil pump needs to be turned down, of course, blowing gray smoke when I punch it.

The last minor thing is the dimmer switch is a bit screwy sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

On a postive note this thing halls ass extremely quick. I need to get a tether switch on this thing. I was screwing around and punched it and it bucked me off. Fortunetly I wasn't going that fast and I was in a small field (how embarising). Even with the stock carbides I feel it handles great carved through the turns real well compared to my 06 600HO Fusion and my old 03 800XCSP.

Last I got 11.94mpg which I thought was great. I feel I rode it kinda hard.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
well thats a good report. but that is wierd how everything went wrong with it in one day. must be your luck ?? maybe it all needed a good break in, hopefully it had its bugs and now are all gone. i have had the same problem with the reverse beeper on my sabercat but it was just the opposite it wouldnt go on while i was in reverse

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Now, There goes the Editor from the Snowmobile Enquirer Magazine !. Supplying Reverse Information, Heh ?. Not worthy:

·
Registered
908 Posts
you could of unpluged you beeper it is located on the right hand side by the footrest. When your belt broke you might of damaged your reverse switch as it is located on the act drive behind the sec clutch might want to get it checked out later

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A05GSHO @ Jan 21 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
... Last I got 11.94mpg which I thought was great. I feel I rode it kinda hard.[/b]
Awesome post ! :beer_cheers:

After you replaced the belt did you get a chance to put many more than the 20 miles on...
Any problems to be aware of after that?

My break in ride will be in a few days and I am trying to check and eliminate any potential problems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sno Pilot @ Jan 21 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A05GSHO @ Jan 21 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Last I got 11.94mpg which I thought was great. I feel I rode it kinda hard.[/b]
Awesome post ! :beer_cheers:

After you replaced the belt did you get a chance to put many more than the 20 miles on...
Any problems to be aware of after that?

My break in ride will be in a few days and I am trying to check and eliminate any potential problems. :thumbsup:
[/b][/quote]

Ya I put like 60 easy miles on with no problems ran great. Like I said I went over the entire sled Sunday morning and all seems good. I'll either be in the UP this coming weekend or bringing them home, we have about a foot of snow in SE WI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:super_happy: I finally got out on my 1000sp this weekend. it is amazing how it just seems to get stronger and stronger. My only complaint is the stock carbides that AC puts on. when more snow falls I have some 9" shappers to install. When does the milage get better. With only 55 miles on it almost 3/4 tank. still love the sled even more then my 900.
please snow.
jd

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A05GSHO @ Jan 22 2007, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ya I put like 60 easy miles on with no problems ran great. Like I said I went over the entire sled Sunday morning and all seems good. I'll either be in the UP this coming weekend or bringing them home, we have about a foot of snow in SE WI.[/b]

Thanks for the update... I leave in 2 days :super_happy:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sledjim @ Jan 22 2007, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:super_happy: I finally got out on my 1000sp this weekend. it is amazing how it just seems to get stronger and stronger. My only complaint is the stock carbides that AC puts on. when more snow falls I have some 9" shappers to install. When does the milage get better. With only 55 miles on it almost 3/4 tank. still love the sled even more then my 900.
please snow.
jd[/b]
I only got 60 miles on the first tank with pre mix. 10 of which were on the lift in the driveway

·
Registered
28 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A05GSHO @ Jan 22 2007, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sledjim @ Jan 22 2007, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
please snow.
jd[/b]
I only got 60 miles on the first tank with pre mix. 10 of which were on the lift in the driveway
[/b][/quote]

I'm getting around 10-11 MPG. My gas guage is waaayyy off. It read 1/2 tank & it only took 3 Gallons to fill up. That 55 miles on the 3/4 of a tank, you still had 5-6 gallons left. At least that's the way mine reads. So far mine's ran great and no problems. I hope it continues that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts