Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start the day off I wanted to take it easy, was planning for some light mud and some shallow water, althought the day ended with a bit more than I expected to take on. The 400 only had 20 miles when it hit the dirt. Ended up following a larger ATV through about 32" of water. I was worried at first because of all I have heard about the low air boxes on AC but made it throught fine. My friend in a Hoda rincon suprisingly flooded out. I ended up towing him out so he could clear the water out. after that we reached a steep sand bank. With 4wd L and the locking front diff I made it in 2 atempts while others took up to 10 trys to make it throught. Another deep water/mud crossing took the water over the headlights. again the others had problems but the new AC made it throught without a hitch, at this point people started asking about my rig. I then picked up a passenger and even with a passenger and a tight motor I was able to traverse all the areas the larger atvs went throught without a hitch. The AC never got stuck and never wimpered the entire trip. Screw what the magazines say this is an aweome trail machine. My bud in the Rincon is a huge Honda fan, but after today he is singing the praises of AC. Hopefully the next outing will be as good.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nice
I tell ya these cats I feel are the best. Good job. I am glad you had some fun

Do you have any picks?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Good times Dude! I know how ya feel, the first trail ride I went on, these MN guys we have here had me in water headlight deep and more. GOOD TIMES!! I'm glad you're enjoying the Cat, it's always a good feeling making a purchase and having it live up to your hopes and then some. Ride safe man.
JD

·
Registered
322 Posts
glad to hear you had a good ride... probably the only knock on the 400's is the weak reverse gear.. not sure if the newer ones have better gearing. my buddy has a 2004 400 and you can hear it bounce the limiter when he's reversing in thick mud.. doesn't stop him, but doesn't sound pretty either.

re: water in the intake.. great you didn't soak any in.. but it will be dissapointing the first time you do. I was thinking how other bikes say the cats are bad with that.. but seems to me that the air intake is pretty high already, especially factoring in the height of the machine pluse the ground clearance. I think it's when you nose into a deep hole that problems occure, the intake is pretty far forward on the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I feel ya scott.

I was riding mine down a creek on my land yesterday. It has recently rained, so the water was getting pretty close to the seat. I was having to push through limbs and small trees, at times, while going down this creek. I was impressed with how much power this thing has. You hear these horror stories about guys breaking stuff on their CATs. You do not want to, but you start doubting your machine when you hear all this stuff. No more doubts, because I was going through places I did not think I could make it through. I firmly believe that if you are breaking frames and drive shafts that you are doing something extreme. There is one guy on the highlifter sight that sheared his drive shaft on a 700 in half. Yet, he has no clue how he did it. That is a bunch of crap!

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Scott, glad your loving the machine and it's representing well on the trail for you. If you don't snorkle your machine, one tip is to always sit as far back as possible when dropping into or driving through water to help keep the front end up. The 400's are tough machines, my son goes through practically everything I do, the only exceptions are where having an aftermarket tire is truly the determining factor. Otherwise the GC and locker on the Cat's just simply outshines the competition. Let's see some pics.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time, Scott, and got to show the others what the CATS are all about !! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe my passenger snapped a couple pictures, I will try to get some from her today to post up.. Funny thing is that She has been riding at this ATV area for years and so she knows most of the trails. So in the last couple hours of the day I was trail guide so she could show our group some of the harder trails we missed. I was the smallest CC bike in the group so I was a bit worried as the trails got harder. She must have been familiar with AC thought because she told me "dont worry you will make it without a strap, im just not so sure about them". The cat really shined, even when held back some by my lack of driving ability and experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scott, Scott here,
My new 400 I get the same looks when I go out too. I ride with several 650's 700's and even 800's. It's not uncommon for me to do stuff they cannot, infact it happens more times than not. For potential in almost any cundition, I am blown away compared to the competition, now i just have to get it to run right.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts