Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a brand new 2006 f7 efi snopro with 0 miles, i called dealer today and i asked if i should i mix the first tank of gas 100 to 1 first tank due to reading this in manual and the mechanic said "no" u dont have to, and he also said that this sled should run 87 octane gas because thats what was designed for these sleds to run, he said if i run 89 92 or 93 octane it would run worse that it would with 87 octane!! he said to permanantly run 87 octane while i own the sled.. please gimme some opinions.. thanx

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also have a brand new sled, and will mix the first tank as the manual said to do.
If the engine is designed to run on 87 octane, then run 87 octane....it'll save you some $ over the course of a season and then you can buy more sleddin' stuff! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
run 87 the slead will run fine dont mix your gas just remember to giver hell once and a while but dont hold wide open for a longe period of time othere then that have fun

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have done both, mix the first tank, & run 87 lightly with a few small blips up as I rode for the first tank. Its all in supposedly to set the rings for break-in. IMO just dont go out & tape it to the bars for long periods, too much too soon. Just let it warm up & run it nice & easy for the first tank, & you should be just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NumbNuts918 @ Nov 10 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have done both, mix the first tank, & run 87 lightly with a few small blips up as I rode for the first tank. Its all in supposedly to set the rings for break-in. IMO just dont go out & tape it to the bars for long periods, too much too soon. Just let it warm up & run it nice & easy for the first tank, & you should be just fine.[/b]

x2 this is how I've always done it myself.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
This is a pretty common topic this time of the year, and I'm kinda surprised we don't have something currently pinned. I would have to echo some of the previous posts in that you will definitely want to run the 87 octane as that is what the sled was designed for. I know that's hard to believe, as the common misconception is that the higher the octane the better it is for your sled. Also - regarding the premix in the 1st tank. I personally think it's a good idea to do that, and to add even more debate to the topic I run "traditional" oil ... not synthetic. I will typically buy a quart of the old injection oil, or mineral based oil, to put in the tank. After that, I just run the synthetic through the oil reservoir like we're supposed to. The idea behind the older oil is that it isn't as slippery as the synthetic oil is, and it allows your rings to seat that much better. As far as babying it vs. running the hell out of it .... I ride it pretty much how I would ride it with 1000 miles on it. The exception being, I'm not going to go WOT for a mile at a time ... but I will go WOT for a few seconds at a time and vary my RPM range. You definitely want to load the engine with that premix in it & do not baby it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Be careful what type of oil you buy(not brand, good lord let's not get everyone involved in brand wars) as some are meant to be injected not mixed and when they are mixed in the tank the gas and oil will separate which on an engine like that which has injection for it's main lubrication it won't matter much except poor performance and a lot of fouled plugs as they aren't meant to run on oil lol but a buddy of mine did this to his motorcycle used an injection oil in a premix bike and it wasn't getting any oil just pure gas from the tank, engine didn't last long lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have a brand new sled, 2007 Z 570, and some questions about break in. My first question was answered in this topic already, which was if I should mix the oil and gas with the first tank. My second question is about breaking in the motor. Being that it is a fan cooled sled and this topic is about liquid cooled sleds do I need to do anything different. Such as do I have to keep the sled under a certain mph or RPM? Also is there anything else I should do when I take her out for the first ride? I do not know if this matters but the sled was summerized by the dealer when I picked it up last May and I have not started it since then. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rough Rider @ Nov 10 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I also have a brand new sled, 2007 Z 570, and some questions about break in. My first question was answered in this topic already, which was if I should mix the oil and gas with the first tank. My second question is about breaking in the motor. Being that it is a fan cooled sled and this topic is about liquid cooled sleds do I need to do anything different. Such as do I have to keep the sled under a certain mph or RPM? Also is there anything else I should do when I take her out for the first ride? I do not know if this matters but the sled was summerized by the dealer when I picked it up last May and I have not started it since then. Thanks![/b]

Depending on what they did... I always wash and wax them and grease every fitting you can find change the chain case oil that I just changed before putting it away ( I change it just from sitting over summer I do run then on stands every other weekend though ) and just go over them with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would run the first tank 100 to 1 and as these guys said run the sleds at varying RPM's for the first few miles to break in the engine.

hope this helps Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Amsoil Interceptor is for a power vavl. engine yes you can run it in a nonpower vavl engine, I do in my sons 08 F5 Efi only because that way I carry one oil I have had no problems doing his.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a couple more questions on this topic. First, is the injection oil that I should mix with my gas in the first tank the same 2-stroke oil that I put in the oil reserve tank? Second, when the manual says 100:1 does that mean two pints of oil for every six gallons of gas? Third, to break in the motor for about how many miles should I vary the rpms and how wide of a range of rpms should I cover? Hope it is ok that I am asking questions about a Z570 in the XFR/Firecat/Sabercat thread. Thanks Rough Rider

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rough Rider @ Nov 12 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a couple more questions on this topic. First, is the injection oil that I should mix with my gas in the first tank the same 2-stroke oil that I put in the oil reserve tank? Second, when the manual says 100:1 does that mean two pints of oil for every six gallons of gas? Third, to break in the motor for about how many miles should I vary the rpms and how wide of a range of rpms should I cover? Hope it is ok that I am asking questions about a Z570 in the XFR/Firecat/Sabercat thread. Thanks Rough Rider[/b]
Yes you can put the same oil in the tank as you would your oil tank, as for the mixture the manuals say to mix 8 oz with 6 gal. of gas twice for a 12 gal. tank. I just put 16 oz oil amsoil ( that's what I use ) in the tank and fill it with 6 gal. then stand on the running boards and rock the sled side to side to mix the oil with the gas, then add 6 additional gallon to the tank and carefully rock the sled to mix everything up, I find its just easier to do it this way than to mix the two cans. What I have also found is ride it they way you normally would, just do not pin it to the bars for long periods of time, your RPMS will vary to begin with once riding it and you will cover them all without even realizing it, once you have the first tank ran though and are about at half to quarter left on the second tank while the sled is hot change the plugs and that part of the break in is complete. Keep in mind that it will smoke more because of the oil that you have in the gas tank and your oil injection.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does it matter that I am only starting up the sled and not rideing it. I will not be starting it up again till around December 20th once I am home from school on Christmas break. With leaving the oil and gas mixture in the tank will I need to mix it up agian (by rocking the sled) when I go to start her up in December? Sorry for all the questions but with this being my first new sled I want to baby her as much as I can to make her last a long time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
if you ride rough terrain it will get mixed up enough, if you are worried just shake the sled a couple times and your good. it won't hurt to start the sled and let it warm up without riding it, in fact when its sitting for long periods (like, over summer) without fogging the motor, you should start it every once in a while so it gets the internal seals oiled up again. not doing that is what cause main bearings to seize over the summer with some people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts