Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a post a couple days ago introducing myself and to let yall know i picked up a 400 auto. Today was the day I got to take delivery. I have purchased 3 new vehicles(full size trucks) but nothing compared to the excitment as we loaded up the new cat and straped her down to take her home. I have ridden hondas that belong to my friend for quite a while. Probably logging 20+ hours and atleast 200 miles on his wifes bike(she is down and out with w baby) I decided on the arctic cat due to the fact I ride alot of muddy trails and enjoy the technical flexy trails that the cat seems to me made for. Tonight I unloaded it and went out with my friend in his rincon, clocked off about 5 miles in 30 minutes. My first impressions are better than I had hoped for. We found a couple things to flex on and it is very clear the cat well outflexes his honda, and by a pretty decent margin. When the terrain got uneven the cat maintained stability while the honda kept picking up tires. I also noticed the headlights are much brighter allowing me to see quite a bit more than he was able to see. My tires were also bigger, when he scraped frame/foot rest the cat never had anything but rubber hitting the dirt. The low range on the cat that his honda lacks also made the slow speed crawling much easier. Overall I am very very happy with my decision. I took it easy because it is new, trying to vary the throttle and only do very short full throttle buest. Just on the 5 miles I rode i could already feel the motor waking up some. I expect to get many years out of this machine and cant wait to hit some real trails saturday. Thanks again for all the info on this board and the help of the friendly members. The only question I have is that I seem to have a metallic knock or noise coming from the drivetrain. It happens off a jump or when I go from acceletation to coasting. Thought it might be the engine braking system of the trans or possibly the loose footbrake that seems to ratte quite a bit. Anyone else notice such a noise?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Congrats on the 400 nice wright up. I dont know about the knock I am sure some others will be able to help. Enjoy and have lots of fun.

cardiocasey

·
Registered
200 Posts
congrates on the new ride.
the noise your hearing mine made till i got about 20 miles on it ,then it went away?
youll love your new ride we also own a new 400 auto (cat green)(lime) and love it also.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I'd put some miles on her (up to 100) to see if it's something just breaking in or if is't something else. Congrats on the new rig man! Fun times ahead!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Glad to hear that you love your new ride. You will like it even more once it is broken in. Stay safe. and have fun.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Mine made the same crack or clunk when stabbing the throttle or letting up quickly. Like Kyle said, give it about 20 to 25 miles and mine went away. I was told it is the shiv you are hearing clunk till she is broke in.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Congrats man!! The best place to break it in is on the trails. I only had 10 miles on mine when we did 50+ miles with some of the boys from MN. Good times dude.
JD

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! when I get it out this weekend I will make sure to get some pictures. Planning on a 4 hour ride saturday and I will try to get a couple pictures. Glad to hear that clunk will go away, it was exactly what yall are describing so I feel much better about it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.