Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is looking into buying his first atv and I was doing some research for him and was looking at the Poo Poo Hawkeye 300 4x4. He is only 5'6" tall and weights about 135 lbs so the size would be ok I think. He rides my 400 4x4, but he doesn't want to go that massive and I don't blame him, plus he would like an auto. I am not a Poo Poo fan at all, but it seems like it might be a good starter quad with alot of features for a good price. Have you guys ever seen one in action? or know someone who ownes one? Here is a link to it on the PP web site.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV...x4/Features.htm

Any opinions or other suggestions for a first time buyer?

·
Registered
434 Posts
hit the popo forums, I was seriously considering one before i got my Ac, but found they have some frame problems. Apparently when ridden hard the rear arm mounts are breaking off the frame. While your buddy isnt a huge guy he might find the hawkeye a bit small, and also the tires are also only 22" tall making it hard to follow just about any of the med to larger bikes around on the trails. I dont have any real hands on experience with this bike, but I have seen one run. At my local offroad playground a young kid drives one, but he doesnt do anything extreme. It seems to suit his needs well though. I will say I like alot of the polaris bikes, and as mentioned was seriously considering buying one, so I am not saying this just out of spite for polaris.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/messagevie...adid/487387.cfm

http://forums.atvconnection.com/messagevie...adid/490950.cfm
(check out the post about 3/4 of the way down starting with Armyhawkeye & java)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There is better quads than that hawkeye for the same price for starter quads like the suzuki ozark

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
it might cost more but maybe he should look at the smaller grizzlies. perhaps the 400 auto 4x4. they start at $5799. or maybe a wolverine 450 it starts at $5999. One reason that i decided against buying a grizz. is that it felt too small for my big a$$. but if my choices were a po-po or a yami i'd have to ride the yami. just my opinion.

of course he might be able to find a used 300 4x4, that might be an option.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I say why not go with the AC 400vp? Massive, lol? Not like the 400 will stand straight up for ya, perfect starter bike. Personally I would never tell anyone to consider anything smaller then a 400. Hawkeye may be an ok machine, but even with your buddies size its way to small for an adult. IMO..

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think they Discontinued the vp modle I would go with the 500 auto. It is a great bike not to much power and there are lot of upgrades if you want to increase your power. If you go to small you will be replacing in a year or so. IMHO

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I said the vp b/c you may still get a leftover for a really good price, there were 2 at my dealer when I bought my H1. I'd stay in the 400 or even the 500cc class. The 400 by any means isn't a "massive" bike, its shear size may be a lil bigger then other smaller cc bikes but it doesn't have blinding speeds that'll knock you off the bike..lol..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am interested in the Hawkeye also for my wife. I don't mind the Po Po's. All my buddies ride them and have real good luck with em. One friend of mine has a 330 Magnum. My wife really likes that machine. It has alot easier steering for her than my stock 400 Cat does, and just feels easier for her to control with the lighter and closer to the ground machine. She said my Cat just feels to "heavy and bulky" for her. Problem is they quit making the 330 Magnum and now replaced with the Hawkeye. Might be a good thing I don't know. I do like the I.R. S. on the Hawkeye but it has no low range or engine brake.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Last year while looking for a utility quad for my wife, She also looked at the Hawkeye. She thought my AC-500 was way too big for her and the AC-400 was just as big. We started looking at the other brands and the hawkeye stood out at first. Upon further comparisons, we ended up with the Yamaha 350 Bruin. It had a larger engine, more ground clearance, larger tires, cost was cheaper and it WASNT MADE IN CHINA!!! Yes, The Hawkeye was made in China according to my dealer. We ended up with the Yamaha. Enough said

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I'm only 5'4" and maybe135 soaking wet....and I went with the AC 400 Auto.... Matter of fact, I didn't think that there was any differance in seat height from the 400, 500, 650 when I tested all of them at my AC dealer before I bought mine....

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
A friend of mine picked up a hawkeye last fall. All I can say is that he is already wanting to get rid of........ Was about the roughest riding small atv out there. Go with the 400 to 500 AC, take a look at the 450 yama, or the 450 King quad. They are all in the same price line of the POPO and mutch better of machines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts