Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this I just bought a 2003 ac 500 automatic I got it home and I went for a ride with my son on his stock Polaris scrambler 500 4X4 and I can't stay anywhere near him The speedo reads 45 at top end My question is Is that normal and if so is there any cheap mods I can do to make it run some what comparible to the scrambler Any help will be greatly appreciated P.S. I'm not looking for it to be a speed demon I just thought it should run faster than 45 Thank You for any input

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
probably needs a new belt by the sounds of it...clean airfilter and clean the carb too.

Keeping up with a scrambler...ahhh i dunno its a lighter sportier bike. Yes it should do more then 45 my buddies 06 would do 60+mph

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just got rid of a scrambler 500 and let me tell you there quick for what they are. Dont expect to out preform him with the Arctic Cat. My top end on my scrambler was faster then the Can Am 800 XMR if that helps.
I think your machine should hit 45MPH though. You can always get a jet kit and get a aftermarket pipe to help you out a little more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies I will check the air filter and get a new belt and go from there. I think it may have been a bad cable because it broke on Sunday after a couple hours of pulling the kids on a sled in the snow. Thanks again

·
Registered
391 Posts
So the bike is stock? No modes, like a clutch kit? If so clutch kit will make you lose top end.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
My 03 500 manual tranny would hit 60 no problem, my buddies still has his 04 500 manual and his hits 60 also.
Belt time, air filter, valve adjustment .ect..
those 500's really responded well to the muffler mod with a dyno jet kit. it really wakes them up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every thing is stock as far as I know. What do you all recommend for a ex mod as far as what pipe or just a slip on and what dyno jet kit to install and then by adding a new ex and dyno jet what about the air box / air filter also is there a certain belt you would recommend that is better than factory? Thanks again for all the help and info

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more question I am going to put a winch on what are your thoughts on putting a factory winch kit on from arctic cat or should I just buy a mounting plate and install a different kind of winch it won't be used alot but when I do want to use it I want it to work

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had a scrambler 500 and there very quick out of the hole top out about 60 my old mans explorer 400 would pass me on top end though, I dont think youll ever be close to the scrambler in a drag but head into the deep snow or mud and logs and he wont catch ya I whooped one in a mud competition and very narrowly beat one in a 300' drag but I think that one was really beat!

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
I would say you are about 100+ pounds heavier. But,,you should look into some mods and maintenace to be sure yours is running as good as it can. I had a scrambler and seriously loved it, but it was so stiff it rode like a fricken chopper. They were one of the first "sport/utility" quads made,and mine beat me up on rocky trails around here. I miss the power, but love the cat suspension!

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
Mod your stock exhaust, it's easy if you have access to a welder and a sawzall. Long drill bits also. All the info is here on this site.
Not a whole bunch you can do to get colder air to the air box. Dont use the K&N air filter for that model, it has about 30% less filter area. Stick with stock or UNI.
I put an 05 bumper on mine and the warn winch bolts right up to that, it has the mounting plate already on it. I little cutting is required and a torch to heat up the :wings" and bend them back to look nice, but it's pretty easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just want to thank everyone that posted I ordered a new belt a air filter a set of keneda bearclaw tires and a super winch with mounting plate so we will see where this will take me thanks again for posting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts