Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 F7 SP and was out riding some drifts the other day and all the powder was getting jammed into the nose piece on my hood and was blocking the air intake..hasd anyone else had this problem..Any Solutuons?? Do they make hood screens for the nose peice???
Thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yes, the hood screen kit should include the nose cone, also the 440 SP have a kit to block off vents and such to keep snow out and air still going thru. maybe worth checking into

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Firecats are made to perform out on the trails, Not in the Powder. See the difference on the hoods between the Firecats, Crossfires and M sleds. Other than that, I couldn't give you any advice on how to keep the fluffy snow out of the nose beak. Sorry.

AB :thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is a common problem for firecats due to the Airforce Induction design. If you hit a big drift and plug the intake with snow the engine can't breathe and it will die. I personally haven't had a serious problem with that on my 05 F6 yet. What I have heard a lot of people do with Firecats is install Bulls Eyes in the airbox. They are basically just vents in the airbox. It allows the engine to breath when the intake is blocked by snow. Hood screens help keep some snow out, but snow can still get in and pile up or freeze on the airbox. I've heard that in extreme cases if snow is getting under the hood a lot that installing the Bulls Eyes on the bottom of the airbox will keep them from getting plugged. I'm gonna try my F6 out west in about a week and see how it does with the powder out there. I might be installing some Bulls Eyes for next season.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was having that problem a few weeks ago when we got a lot of powder. I had to keep getting off the sled and sticking my hand between the beak and the hood, to clean out the snow. About the fifth time I did that it started to freeze. So I brought it back to the shop and let it un-thaw. Stupid design! I know its not made for off-trail/ powder conditions, but COME ON!!!!

my 2 cents

Arctic Man

·
Registered
127 Posts
same here when we got all that nice powder in ny i tried breaking trail and it goes great through the powder but once the hood fills up it stops the engine. everytime it got plugged up i got stuck wasnt fun at all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
its the major downfall of the damn sleds. I installed bullseyes on the topside of the airbox so that the very front hoodvents can deliver more air so i can keep going thru the powder, but it still wont run worth a crap.....its doggy as hell but doesnt die now. Idk, the things are awesome, but for what i wanna do, the Crossfire is more the sled for me, so, as much as it saddens me, I will be trading my good ol' Firecat soon. She just wasnt meant for the abuse I wanna put it thru LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts