Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 04 F7 EFI sno pro out to Montana next week. I've reclutched for the alitude both the primary and secondary. Anyone else take theirs out west, did/would you regear too?

I realize this isn't the ideal sled for the mountains, I regeared when I went out to the bighorns and had problems with the "chainsaw" affect with that narrow track, would keeping the stock gears worsen that problem or improve it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ride an o4 f-6 with 1" track,it works good in 24-30" of snow @ 3000-6000' no big hills,really a fun sled to
play on. For the really deep stuff I bring out the M-7 or 8 with the 153"x2.25" track,the 8 really pulls the
steep grades. Go have fun on your f-7.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If its clear out you will have no problem as long as you keep your track speed up. I took my F7 to Revelstoke was tough to get around, but it wasn't clear and I could not see where I was going. I switched to a M'series sled and went again and loved it was alot easier to get around. If its packed you will be able to go anywhere. Loved my Firecat . Have a blast!! I never regeared mine but put a 1.7" track on it instead.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Alot depends what kinda track your running but personally I like how they work out west better with lower gears. Swap our your helix for a 51degree flat helix. Otherwise without putting a decent chunk of money into it that should work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm using the stock sno pro track which is 1 3/8". I do have the gears from a previous trip but reluctant to put them in just because of how it performed on that trip. On that trip the snow conditions were very wet and packy and I'm not sure any gearing configuration would have helped.

I think I'll try the stock gears first and take the others along, can always change them out. I also put in a 51 degree helix and changed the clutch weights to 58 g. Basically everything listed for 9000 ft and over with the exception of regearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 2003 F-7 with a 151X2.25 Track with the Stock Gearing and it did trench worse than a 15" Wide track but it also carried a lot of track speed climbing hills I rode with 151 700 Polaris's and it would go anywhere they did. In 3-4 feet of powder with no base it did trench pretty good but if you rode it like you stole it it was ok !!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you haven't already the other trick is to suck up the limiter strap atleast one hole. It helps the approach angle a bit. I had a F7 with a 151X2.0 on it also. There a blast to ride but they do like to trench in bottomless powder. I personally decided its not the track width but the approach angle of the fcats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts