Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed my this weekend but had a hella time getting the belt off. i took the washers and o ring off the shive and tighened back down. ended up taking the secondaryclutch off had to anyway to change the gear oil. what is the easiest way please! need to know if i bust one on the trail...thanx

·
Registered
407 Posts
yeah they are rediculous.. i usually put it on the primary and get it started going over the top of the secondary and basically turn the clutch clockwise by hand and walk the sled backwards or use something to prop the back end up so the track is free and do it that way

·
Registered
244 Posts
I keep a strap wrench in my trunk very easy belt removal, put strap on helix Ebrake on ,turn strap clockwise sheaves open up. Takes less than 2 min with absolutely no struggling.

·
Registered
344 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DD03F7 @ Dec 21 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what the helks a strap wrench?[/b]
A strap wrench has handle with a rubber strap attached to 1 side, then you wrap it around what you trying to remove then back to the handle.Then you turn the wrench and it tightens the strap.Its kind of like an oil filter wrench.

·
Registered
156 Posts
sweeeet news! I have one of those wrenches and never put it to use... It is now a "secondary clutch wrench"
just another great reason for sites like this and networking with people!!!
Thanks....

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you have the stock 10" secondary, i'ts the easiest thing to do. Just spin in the plastic (if you haven't ditched it yet for a nice aluminum one) deflection adjuster to open the secondary all the way. Then, just roll the belt off. Put the new one over the primary first, hoding it sideways to get it betwen the clutch and the foam rubber **** on the side of the belly pan. Then just roll it on the secondary. It helps if you have the track jacked up, cuz you'll need to spin the secondary for this and to get the deflection adjusted right.
Now, if you have a 10.4" secondary on it, have fun with that. It's right up against the foot well.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i must have the 10.4 cause the belt has to be pried between the clutch and foot well. it's a 05 f5...

·
Registered
344 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SPLaudio @ Dec 22 2009, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i must have the 10.4 cause the belt has to be pried between the clutch and foot well. it's a 05 f5...[/b]
X2 .I have the 10.4 on mine and it is a pain in the rear to get it between the clutch and footwell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts