Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the weekend, I made the trek from Ohio down to Lawton Oklahoma to pick the big girl up. 2200 miles in 3 days wasn't actually that terrible.

The owner bought it brand new in 08 in Alaska for moose hunting but then got re-stationed in Oklahoma 6 months later. He said it was one of only 4 to get delivered to AK. Since he never used it in OK and is getting deployed june 15th, he put it on Craig's list and I happened to find it the same day. The rest is history now Cat happy.

The previous owner kept it so clean it's not even funny. It never saw a night outside, rain or mud. Only snow and desert dirt. It looks brand new everywhere except for a couple light branch scratches on the plastic and racks. The brake rotors were actually slightly rusty from sitting in the garage so much haha.

Came as pictured including the 28" mud hogs with a brand new matching spare and a hard gun case with the speedrack mounts.

Stopped at Meramec cavers in Missouri on the way back. It barely fit on my 5x8 trailer haha.

Since the previous owner left it bone stock mechanically and I run a diesel shop, it couldn't stay that way! The thing was so slow it's not even right. I don't know how the PO drove it 400 miles that way haha.

The day after I got home from the trip, I bumped timing a few degrees, adjusted the injector link bar, and gave the torque limiter screw a few turns till we got a few puffs of black. It's not a rocketship by any means, but it'll actually spin tires on dirt now. It's acceptable for the moment.

While I was at it, I removed the spark arrestor and welded on a piece of scrap 1.5" SS tube. Used a cut off wheel on the factory tip to mimic mine. Some black engine enamel finished it off. Snorkels are next :thumbguy:

Once I catch up on work at the shop, I'll play with the high idle setting/governor weights to get up to 4200-4400 rpms. I need to get the valve spring specs to make sure we won't have any valve float first though. Once I get that figured out, there's no reason this thing can't turn a few more revs. IDI diesels love rpm's and this thing is built so stoutly it won't be an issue mechanically.

The last thing I'm planning to do before fall is give it what every diesel needs, boost grbanman! Going to grab one of these little guys and go to town. RHB31 Motorcycle Turbocharger Quad Small Turbo RHB3 | eBay . I'll be sure to post up lots of pics in this thread when I do it. Hardest part looks like it's going to be hiding all the pipes under the plastic.

I'm glad to finally have a Green machine again and be back with the crowd Rockerdude. Been 4 years since my 02 400 4x4 was totaled by a friend and I always had the itch for another AC.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
i think the car should be on the trailer and the quad toeing the car home. The cat is bigger then the car :D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Nice ride man! I love those diesels.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks great... you mentioned getting some pep back, but I'm more interested in the bottom end... how does it pull?

Also, what kind of tires are those? I can't really tell from the pics. They look like a swamp wtich knock off.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
i think the car should be on the trailer and the quad toeing the car home. The cat is bigger then the car :D
Cat probably has more torque too lol

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
do a propane injection set up , that will wake it up

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Looks great... you mentioned getting some pep back, but I'm more interested in the bottom end... how does it pull?

Also, what kind of tires are those? I can't really tell from the pics. They look like a swamp wtich knock off.
With stock fuel settings, it was as slow as a slug. It didn't really feel torquey at all either, but then again I haven't had the chance to hook it to any load. With the fuel screw on the side of the head turned in a couple turns and the timing bumped ~3 degrees, it actually feels like it has some oompf now. I'd love to find a atv sled pull near me and see how it does against gassers with a load behind it.

The tires are GBC mud hogs I believe. They're definitely chunky.

Cat probably has more torque too lol
Nahhh, that's a sleeper jetta TDI (diesel). It has an aggressive tune, big injectors, cam, big turbo, monster factory front intercooler, 3" stainless exhaust, and a 6 speed manual swapped in. It dyno'ed a couple weeks ago at 220whp and 395 ft/lbs. Not bad for a little 1.9L 4 banger Rockerdude.

do a propane injection set up , that will wake it up
No thanks, IDI diesels don't like propane very much. Their compression is high enough that they will ignite the propane before fuel is injected basically causing detonation. A DI diesel has a lower compression ratio and is more tolerant to propane, but you can still overdo it very easily. I'd rather not melt a piston in this kitty cat. A turbo should be more than enough for me until I find some larger injector nozzles out of one of the 4 cylinder turbo'ed Lombardini's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey man off topic question to the op. Do you have any tricks for a kubota rtv. It's just like you described. You would think a three cylinder diesel would put out more umph.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey man off topic question to the op. Do you have any tricks for a kubota rtv. It's just like you described. You would think a three cylinder diesel would put out more umph.
It would have a little more oompf if the emissions gestapo didn't get their hands in there before it left the factory.

First and foremost, get a factory service manual. From there, follow directions to advance timing ~3-4 degrees as a general starting point. Next, find the main fuel screw (commonly called the torque limiter screw) which will most likely be under some kind of tamper proof cover. The service manual will probably tell you to screw it CCW to "reduce complaints of black smoke". So you'll want to screw it the opposite way until you get a light haze Rockerdude. That'll keep egt's in check under load.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like it. I take also would be better to open up exhaust and air as would normally on any engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How about an HY-35? That would be alot cheaper Plus I have seen HX35's on 2 stroke sleds that worked, so a smaller hy35 should work on your wheeler.

You should be able to throw enough fuel at that little exhaust housing to get things going. That little 9cm exhaust housing lites yesterday.

Keep us posted, this is really cool.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Keep this thread going, once your build is done, i will make this a sticky as there are others out there with the diesels.

Once you get this a built, i would hope you become a sponsor and start selling a turbokit for the cats.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Wait a min......Is this the whitebread from tdiclub that makes exhaust systems??????

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I took her out for the first real, albeit small, ride today through a neighbors woods. Since I've been riding a banshee for 8 years, it's a whole 'nother world. The auto trans thing is going to take a while for me to get used to haha. It had more than enough pep to keep me entertained and had plenty of power to get through some super sloppy mud I accidentally found. So far I'm pleased Cat happy

How about an HY-35? That would be alot cheaper Plus I have seen HX35's on 2 stroke sleds that worked, so a smaller hy35 should work on your wheeler.

You should be able to throw enough fuel at that little exhaust housing to get things going. That little 9cm exhaust housing lites yesterday.

Keep us posted, this is really cool.
I wish it were that easy. A hy-35 is HUGE for a 700cc diesel. A turbo compressor is sized to an engine based on lbs/min of air. To get lbs per min, first you calculate CFM by (cubic inch displacement X RPM)\3456. So for our 686cc diesel we get (42 X 3800)\3456= 46 CFM. 46cfm X 0.069= 3.2 lbs/min of air. If you google image a hy35 compressor map, you'll see that 3.2lbs/min at PR 2 (~15psi manifold boost) is wayyy in the surge region. The turbine is also way too large and would never spool with the limited rpms and displacement to work with. An IHI RHB31 or RHB32 is about perfect size wize and has plenty of headroom to work with on the 700D.

A good turbo sizing trick is to look at the OEM horsepower rating of the engine the turbo came off of. If you project has a 300hp goal, find a turbo from an engine with around 300hp. You can't slap a GT15 on and expect it to push out 300 hp. On the other hand, if you put on a GT55 off a 600hp semi motor, it would surge and run like ****.

Keep this thread going, once your build is done, i will make this a sticky as there are others out there with the diesels.

Once you get this a built, i would hope you become a sponsor and start selling a turbokit for the cats.
I certainly appreciate the offer! I definitely think I could make a couple turbo kits. Custom fabrication is kind of what I do for a living haha.

Wait a min......Is this the whitebread from tdiclub that makes exhaust systems??????
Darn it! I can't hide anywhere can I???? na na

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
ha lol you tried anything on a 2011 tdi yet??? Ive got a highline that needs a better exhaust stock is WAY to quite lol.

Have you turned up the fuel pump yet on the quad?.....would a straight pipe exhaust work better or no without a turbo?...theres a guy on youtube that has a turbo on his 700 diesel cat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I finally got to hook to a good load today! I have a very large (~2000lb) 50 ton log splitter I had to pickup from my friends farm down the road. Going down the road on the way there, 41mph (indicated, i'm sure it's a little higher actually with 28" tires) was a comfy speed at a little less than full throttle and before governor cut. With my silly large splitter in tow, I had zero trouble doing 40mph on the way back still with the same throttle amounts. Even hitting a rather large hill, I only lost 4mph going up it. I am extremely impressed to say the least. I can't wait to see how it'll yank stuff around with some boost!

ha lol you tried anything on a 2011 tdi yet??? Ive got a highline that needs a better exhaust stock is WAY to quite lol.

Have you turned up the fuel pump yet on the quad?.....would a straight pipe exhaust work better or no without a turbo?...theres a guy on youtube that has a turbo on his 700 diesel cat.
Here ya go 170 WHP/334tq CJAA, A5, DSG - Page 3 - TDIClub Forums

Oh yeah, the day after I brought it home it got turned up :lol:. I deleted the spark arrestor and added a second tip. It's a little bit louder but nothing crazy. I think it would be too loud straight piped without a turbo. We'll see soon enough how it runs with a turbo though Rockerdude.

I've talked to that guy on youtube a couple times. Says it's been that way since a couple weeks after he bought it, 2000 km's and still going strong at 15psi.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Also, maybe you will want to have papa slap or airdamn take a look at your clutches. I am not sure what clutch setup these have. I am sure there is more to be had out of these with some clutch work.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
x2...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, maybe you will want to have papa slap or airdamn take a look at your clutches. I am not sure what clutch setup these have. I am sure there is more to be had out of these with some clutch work.
X3. I plan on it. I know these use a different clutch setup than all the others, they don't have a wet clutch at all. The crankshaft directly drives the primary. It definitely needs heavier weights at the very least, you really have to rev it up before the sheave will move in and grab the belt.

1 - 20 of 515 Posts
About this Discussion
514 Replies
72 Participants
Chandlerbingco
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing