Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home this afternoon from a couple days in Northern Wisconsin. Eight of us stayed on Lake Namakagon and we were able to put on just under 350 miles in 2 1/2 days (we were happy considering the conditions when we got there).

Wednesday evening we rode south to Lost Land Lake via firelanes and it was pretty scratchy. We stopped at the Red Deer Lodge & then headed back to Namakagon & the Pioneer bar and then made our way back to the cabin. Thursday & Friday we rode north towards Island Lake & Hurley and found some great riding. Clam Lake was the start of "good" riding, and then north of there, starting around Cayuga, riding got really good. The trails were a bit rocky yet and they're about 4" away from being excellent in that area ... but the firelanes ranged from good to excellent.

As far as my new F8 goes, I was very pleased. After reading all of the horror stories with cooling problems, side panels melting, backfiring issues, chassis control unit issues, etc., I have to admit I was nervous the first night. But to my pleasant surprise, I came home with only one problem ... the speedometer. Around 300 miles, my speedo started acting up and would blank out on me. I first noticed it last night just as were coming into the Cayuga bar from Island Lake. My digital display somehow "automatically" went from speedo to tach. I pressed the button to change it back to speedo, and a few minutes later it was back on the tach again I dunno Well, as if that wasn't strange enough, we stopped at Cayuga and grabbed a quick drink, and made our way back towards Namakagon. About 20 minutes into the ride my speedo just blanked out ... literally no display. It would intermittently come back on & when it came back on the chassis control unit light would flicker with the speedo. The problem would go away for a minute or two, and then come back again. So it looks like I have a bad connection somewhere in the wiring harness or something, I don't know.

On a positive note, the sled flat out rocked. I couldn't be happier with the ride ... it was fantastic. The transition from sitting to standing is effortless and the overall handling of the sled was very good when the snow conditions were good. In the icy stuff, just like any sled, it pushed in the corners. Steering is great with little effort needed. Reverse is cool, but it does take some getting used to (it will throw you forward pretty good if you're not ready for the engagement of the clutch :lol: ). I think the stock clutching is good ... I hit 7940 RPM on my WOT run so I think that's good. My belt deflection needs to be adjusted already though because my belt is already laying flush with the secondary sheeves (it was properly set up when we got there). I didn't race my buddy on his Dragon, but I think stock for stock it's going to be a helluva fight. I honestly think the Dragon will pull the F8 out of the hole & then the mid-range power of the F8 will/should catch up and pass it ... but that's all speculation at this point.

I've got more to say, but don't have the time. I'll try to post pics later tonight or tomorrow. If anyone has info on the speedo problem, please let me know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad to hear the sled is awesome! Do you have stock carbides? Just wondering how they turn w/ studs. Don't worry about that Dragon, you'll get it when it's broken in!!

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (backinblack @ Jan 20 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Glad to hear the sled is awesome! Do you have stock carbides? Just wondering how they turn w/ studs. Don't worry about that Dragon, you'll get it when it's broken in!![/b]
Everything was stock ... skis & carbides as well as the track. I had to wait until Tuesday for the 14" track to come in, and basically picked up my sled Tuesday night .... only to leave Wednesday at noon. The stock skis & carbides were actually not that bad considering the amount of icy conditions we ran. Next time out I'll have 170 picks in the track, and also my USI skis with 7.5" Shaper bars. Hopefully the conditions will get better in the next 10 days.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Hope you could fix the minor problem you're experincing. Can't wait for your pixs and more stories you could share on the racing part and the improvements to your sled's handling part on the skis and studs later on. :thumbsup: :D

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Sounds like a good time Chris! How are the conditions around Namakagon? Looks like enough ice on the lake. Do they have the stick trail up yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my speedo. Turned on and off when it wanted. Brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the CCU. Sleds works great now 270 miles and no problems. Best sled i have ever owned!!

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3x @ Jan 21 2007, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds like a good time Chris! How are the conditions around Namakagon? Looks like enough ice on the lake. Do they have the stick trail up yet?[/b]
Pat ... I wish I would've had your cell phone because I would have given you a call. Conditions on Namakagon are pretty decent - it's a light snow/fluffy type stuff and there's maybe 4" on the lake. It's not set up for any sort of racing, but it's good riding from Point A to Point B. The stick trail is up.

The firelanes were "decent" from Namakagon over to Clam Lake, and from Clam Lake on out they went to good/very good. And like I said in my original post, the firelanes from Cayuga up were great. In fact, from Jones' Bar (near Mellen) on up to Island Lake it was beautiful. I'm in love with the F8, that's for sure :wub:

Here's a few pics from the weekend ... no action shots, sorry.

This is the parking lot at Bear Chaser's on Friday afternoon ... as you can tell it was plenty busy. Also, if you need gas there it's $3/gallon LOL
[attachment=61372:BearChasers1.jpg]
[attachment=61373:BearChasers2.jpg]

Here's a couple pics of my buddy's new Dragon & my F8 outside Jones' Bar.
[attachment=61374:Dragon_F8.jpg]
[attachment=61375:Dragon_F8b.jpg]

A couple shots of the firelanes & potential drag strips in a couple weeks when we go back (although I don't think we'll use it as a drag strip since deer can put a damper on a ride in a hurry!).
[attachment=61376:dragstrip.jpg]
[attachment=61377:firelanes.jpg]

Just before we got to Pence, and stopped at Squeak's ... this is just off the trail for a quick discussion on our route.
[attachment=61380:pence.jpg]

At that same spot, an old sled came down from the woods .... cross country ski groomer? I really don't know.
[attachment=61382:OldRunner.jpg]

One last pic of our crew outside Jones' Bar
[attachment=61383:JonesBar.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Sounds good that you finally got to ride. I see a couple of F-Serie sleds in your group. Did you see any others while riding? I have been up to Northern MN, Tower area, for the last two weekends and I never saw one. I guess that would mean if I broke down or ran out of fuel there would be hundreds of posts saying 100% of the F1000's riding in that area broke down. :super_happy:

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
:thumbsup: Awesome Pixs, Chris. In the third pix, I do happen to notice that your F8's ski stance is wider than your buddy's Dragon. Am I correct ?. If so, How much of a difference between them two ?. I dunno

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Glad to hear you got some seat time...my speedo acts strange also. When I push the high beam button, the speedo/digital reading scrambles for a second and then comes back to life. The other night it didn't do it at all. I will get this checked and post my findings. Other than that...no issues to report. Did you get any rideable snow in Lake City yet?

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1lby @ Jan 21 2007, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Glad to hear you got some seat time...my speedo acts strange also. When I push the high beam button, the speedo/digital reading scrambles for a second and then comes back to life. The other night it didn't do it at all. I will get this checked and post my findings. Other than that...no issues to report. Did you get any rideable snow in Lake City yet?[/b]
Sounds like a common problem with the speedo (mine does that too when going from low to high beams). I am hoping it's a quick, simple fix. As far as Lake City goes, we picked up about 2" or 3" today. I'm guessing some people are out, but I think the trails need more like 6"+ before any serious miles could be ridden ... especially considering the amount of chisel plow around here.

We're scheduled to leave in 10 days for the Hayward area again, so I hope they pick up some more snow before the first weekend of Feb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts