Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing like being the last to the party, but I finally picked up an AGLT candidate last winter. Started with a stock ’98 Tcat with 2000 miles (thanks again Blaine for the lead). Other than sitting in a garage for a couple years untouched (mice nest in bellypan and behind gas tank), the sled was in great shape and actually ran very well after just draining the old fuel last year. Thankfully the mice made their nests with insulation from the shed and did not harm anything on the sled. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
  • AGLT front end mod http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinned-topic-area/150094-upgrading-front-suspension-aws4-sleds-aglt.html
  • Added grease zerks to each a arm
  • 136” skid with NOS rails (from http://www.wps-inc.com/), new 1.25” Polaris paddle track, additional rear cooler, rebuilt ZR ACT shocks, and a tunnel ext. I made from an ’01 Cat tunnel; rebuilt original Fox skid shocks
  • The black plastic tabs used to cover the factory holes on the top of the extension came from Lowes...they had several different sizes and were perfect to seal off all the holes
  • Replaced drive shaft bearings while I had it apart. The old ones looked great, but I’ll keep them as spares.
  • Blasted and powder coated all skid parts and a arms
  • LED tail light from a ’10 Crossfire
  • ’01 ZR handlebars
  • Powermadd pivoting 3.25” riser
  • Reverse kit from A-Chat member mad turtle
  • Tempa Flo carb compensator from holtzman engineering, inc.
  • NOS Cat temp gauge (from Country Cat)
  • NOS hood screen kit
  • Homemade GPS bracket with a 4-pin mic terminal on the console
  • Tapped into accessory terminal under console and converted to DC (per A-chat member 109jb); then ran it into engine area under reverse lever to a 12v battery and a 3 way terminal to power GPS, communicator, and possibly a heated shield in the future (haven’t needed on with my BVS2 helmet) http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinned-topic-area/290622-12-vdc-power-gps-cell-phones.html
  • Blasted and painted pipes
  • 2 qt oil caddy for those high mile days
  • Cam buckles for Cat saddle bags
Still to do:
  • Swap seat and 12 gallon tank from a late ZR chassis, preferably an ’01 or ’02 Tcat. I sized this up with my ’01 Tcat seat/tank when I had everything apart. The sides of the cowl/console will need to be trimmed some and the tabs that hold the front of the tank in place will have to be moved up some, and it may go back a couple inches farther than the stock seat…everything else looked good and the extra 2 gal of gas is almost a necessity in the UP. With this setup, I’ll also be able to swap my tank bag with pockets from my ’01 to the ’98, and vice versa.
  • Prefer a Tcat tank because I have a NOS elec fuel gauge kit sitting on the shelf and I’d like to stick with an all black seat.
  • Trim the windshield down
  • Install Cat mirrors
  • Install a pair of black Powder Pros…need to pick them up from a buddy
  • Raise the steering rack with washers
  • Water pump refresh
The motor is stock and I plan to leave it that way. If I find a deal on reeds, I’ll pick them up. I don’t get to ride often, but when I do the days are usually 200+ miles, with a few 300+ mile days per season, at a pretty good pace…so I lean on the side of dependability and simplicity.

I did the steering post mod, but did not like the fact that I couldn't see any of my gauges, so I went back to the stock location. With the pivoting riser, I will be fine as most of my riding is sitting down on well groomed trails.

My two other 136" mods:

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/pinned-topic-area/254094-converting-121-136-a.html
http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23060

Thanks to AG, Tcat446, and all the other guys who have done this mod and posted tips as they went along. I can't wait to spend a day on the trails with this sled.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And when I installed the freshly rebuilt shocks in the little brother, Mr. 2001, he wanted to come out and play too. This sled is so reliable, I was a fool to try to sell it last year...thankfully the guy didn't come through with the money. I put my accessories back on it and it's not going anywhere any time soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Now those are some nice sleds to be proud of for sure!! Very nice job! Nice pics too. Thanks for sharing the post with everyone. You did a lot of work to that. I'll beat your glad you can ride it now.

thumbguythumbguy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great job jim...looking forward to getting a few of us together this year!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice work!! Your not last to the party though, I'm not done with mine yet so you beat me!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks great Jim. I'm not done either.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nice Job and your sled turned out great.:gbeerchug:
I wish I didnt need the surgery I had as my sled would have been done as well. It kinda makes me sad but, Hey I am happy i can still ride at this point.

·
5,963 Posts

Dear Santa......

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
9,771 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts