Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. In the first picture below. There is a connection i found when i was putting my sled back together. It comes off the main efi harness with a rubber cap on it. Whats this for?

2. The other two pictures are of the bottom mounting point for the front shock on my 02 sno pro skid im eventully going to get into my 96 ext. Im wondering what this hollow aluminium tube is for. Shouldnt this be a solid aluminium shaft, like the others on the skid?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I think- it was Kev on here that used a steel rod. Pm him and ask him if he doesn't chime in.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Check out brownsliesureworld.com Those bigger aluminum pieces in the pic are the spacers to center the shock. There should still be a inner aluminum cross shaft that is hollow and the steel shaft (or big bold whatever) runs through it. There's a couple other little things to. None of them are crazy expensive, but to buy new, they will add up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out brownsliesureworld.com Those bigger aluminum pieces in the pic are the spacers to center the shock. There should still be a inner aluminum cross shaft that is hollow and the steel shaft (or big bold whatever) runs through it. There's a couple other little things to. None of them are crazy expensive, but to buy new, they will add up.
Ok I looked it up and this is what i found

Looks like i need part #'s 30, 31x2, 14x2, 15x2, 13 and 29 to mount the front shock.
I just went and took a look at my skid and I have part #'s 30, 31x2, 14x2 and 29.
So I need part 13 the steel axle and 15, two washers.
I might be able to fine thoughs washers at a hardware store. As for the steel axle shaft I really dont want to pay $37.59+tax and s&h. Im pretty sure I can go to my buddies machine shop and spin one up on the lathe as long as theres no complicated machining on the inside. I got these dimentions off brownsleisureworld.com for the axle shaft AXLE, STEEL-7/8 X 3/8 X 8.750 ZY. So im geussing this would be outter diameter is 7/8 inner diameter is 3/8 and the length is 8.750". Is that correct? I dont know what the ZY means. But if so ill save myslef 40+ bucks machining my own.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hey if you can machine you one, for sure do it. What I might suggest if your gonna do that is machine is slightly narrower, and make one for #11 too. Get some aluminum flat stock 1/4" think or so and make a plate to double up the thickness of the rails there. That #11 really eggs out the holes there from the pressure of the rear shock. Oh, and make me a set of risers while you at it. ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey if you can machine you one, for sure do it. What I might suggest if your gonna do that is machine is slightly narrower, and make one for #11 too. Get some aluminum flat stock 1/4" think or so and make a plate to double up the thickness of the rails there. That #11 really eggs out the holes there from the pressure of the rear shock. Oh, and make me a set of risers while you at it. ;)
Ok, yeah ill do that #11 while im at it. I should put thos plates on the inside of the rails? Do you know if thos measurments for that axle shaft are correct? I just thought of making a set of risers to. I could fab a pivot adapter no problem but i dont know about a riser block. Ive got lot more experiance on the lathe than i do the mill. But i might take a crack at it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I was just kidding on the risers. The block would be tough. I've got a spare steering shafts, I've often thought of just cutting off where the block attaches and welding another short shaft (like a "T") to it, that way you can just use a set of risers with no block adapter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just kidding on the risers. The block would be tough. I've got a spare steering shafts, I've often thought of just cutting off where the block attaches and welding another short shaft (like a "T") to it, that way you can just use a set of risers with no block adapter.
yea like a 7/8 piece of tube welded onto the steering post then riser block on top

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
That steel shaft is easy to make. That would be a standard steel rod size and a lathe can center the bolt holes much easier then I have done by hand. For some reason I thought it was 3/4" but 7/8" may be right. Use calipers to check the ID of the aluminum sleeves.
Initially back in around 98 they used 5/8" steel and it would bend. Then they started to fabricate these aluminum triangular blocks that added strength and used those up until 2001. I suspect it was cheaper just to go to the larger steel rod.

The downfall is the bushing for the lower shock mount is very thin because the shocks themselves are all the same. What started happening is the bushing would shatter and then pound the shock end cap and elongate or break it. I think Deycore or someone makes a hardened shock bushing.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That steel shaft is easy to make. That would be a standard steel rod size and a lathe can center the bolt holes much easier then I have done by hand. For some reason I thought it was 3/4" but 7/8" may be right. Use calipers to check the ID of the aluminum sleeves.
Initially back in around 98 they used 5/8" steel and it would bend. Then they started to fabricate these aluminum triangular blocks that added strength and used those up until 2001. I suspect it was cheaper just to go to the larger steel rod.

The downfall is the bushing for the lower shock mount is very thin because the shocks themselves are all the same. What started happening is the bushing would shatter and then pound the shock end cap and elongate or break it. I think Deycore or someone makes a hardened shock bushing.

Ok, The aluminium sleeves are 1". So 7/8 being a standard size steel rod i can go buy i chunk of it and just drill the hole? And the measurements for the steel shaft i got off of the diagram said 7/8x 3/8 x 8.75. Do that sound right?

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you said make one for #11 to were you talking about a steel shaft and the 1/4" flat stock plates? Should i weld the new plates on? If so on the inside or the outside?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.