Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I wanted to start a topic of "Favorite ZR" Since the ZR chassis is going to the chopping block I figured we annouce our pride. Tell us what your favorite ZR is based on the following criteria: Year, Size (500, 580, 600, 800 etc), Setup (CC, LE, EFI, SnoPro etc) Maybe even some of you prefer the ZL?!?!? If you got a picture post it also. My favorite is shown below. Only change would be Clicker shocks. Other than that I love it!!!! Not worthy: Also tell some of your favorite mods, (can, track, ski's etc)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
My favorite ZR is my own 1997 ZR 440, which has become something of a mutant and needs only a 02 tunnel now for me to call it perfect...for me at least. I love the ZR1 hoods the best, but I do like the ZR3 also. I'll see what I can do about pictures someday.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well I have limited exposure to the ZRs, Ive only ridden three different ones actually and a ZL. The ZRs are a 97 440, a 98 500, and a 2001 Sno Pro! The 98 ZR 500 has the best engine, but all were pretty close I think. The 2001 Sno Pro wasnt much more impressive then the 97, I actually thing the 97 would take it on the top end it felt like. The Sno Pro was the most capable in the very rough and had the best ergonomics with the 97 440 comming in second. For smoother trail performance the 97 is by far the best. Id say the best ride overall is the 97, handling the 97 with its sway bar.

Lookswise, ahhh they are all pretty close.

AS to the ZL, its not even in the same class. Its a 00 ZL 600 EFI. The power didnt impress me one but, the ZR 440 and 500 felt more enthusiastic but it did have a nice ride. The thing felt heavy when you rode it though and that big 13 gallon gas tank bothered me.

These are my .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
The really cool thing about the older ZR's is not what they are as much as what they can be. Do the right mods/upgrades and even the older models will run with anything on the trails.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This one.....can't get enough....allthough Jeff H has a great point on the zr1.....

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SPDFREEK @ Jan 17 2007, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This one.....can't get enough....allthough Jeff H has a great point on the zr1.....[/b]
That is a SICK lookin' sled. How did you get that tunnle to luck so good (besides a lotta elbow grease).

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
My last three sleds..............
-02ZR800 cce carb in green
-02ZR800 cce carb in black
-02ZR800 cce carb in black turned 900 (the sled AC should have built)

Pics of my current one.

·
Registered
738 Posts
how do the 98/99 zr's run? i was lookin at one for next year but im not sure about how they run...i mean, they are almost 10 years old.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They run ok, for 92hp (ZR5) and 100hp (ZR6) engines. The carbs drink a lot of fuel, the efi 600 is good for 11mpg at the most. They will not run with any of the late model 500/600 valved sleds. When they are clutched properly they do a pretty good job since they are relatively light in weight. They're very noisy, however. A LOT of intake noise. They transfer weight good, and respond well to the D&D single pipe. They do make the most of what little hp they have (relative to today's engines). But they are FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pyrex @ Jan 17 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
how do the 98/99 zr's run? i was lookin at one for next year but im not sure about how they run...i mean, they are almost 10 years old.[/b]

·
Registered
367 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pyrex @ Jan 17 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
how do the 98/99 zr's run? i was lookin at one for next year but im not sure about how they run...i mean, they are almost 10 years old.[/b]
Bought the old lady a '98 ZR 500 and that thing handles like a dream, for it's age. Handles the trails better than my F-6 (when it had stock skis). I'm very new to the ZR but I give it 2 thumbs up thus far. They drink a lotta gas though.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My favorite would have to be an 02 or 03 zr800 W/ efi & cross country suspension, mine is not the cc version, but I wish it was, I did buy a rear remote clicker on e-bay for it, and there is a big difference. The 900's don't back up, except 03, but thats not efi... jmo.... :beer_cheers: I'll try to post some pics

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I love my 2002 ZR 800 carb. See my signature for all the details on it.

Z-Rider

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Z-Rider.... Were to able to fit that 1.6" in without any mods? (tunnel protector, new idlers, new front sprockets etc). I want to put a 1.5" Ripsaw in my 02 600 EFI but didn't want to have to add any other mods!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cat4ever... I love those white ZR editions... Very sharp!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SPDFREEK @ Jan 17 2007, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This one.....can't get enough....allthough Jeff H has a great point on the zr1.....[/b]

man i love that look. howd ya do all that spdfreek
id love to get my 02 zr5 to look like that with the long track and tunnel
sweet sled

·
Registered
523 Posts
Cat has never really made a bad looking ZR but the standouts definatly seem to be the 02 Cross Countrys for execptional looks. Damn those are nice looking machines. I also like the late ZR1 machines, mainly the 440 because its sleeker and sits tall and proud. Thats the only thing that I dont like about the looks of my dad's 98 ZR 500, it doesnt seem to sit as "Proud" as the 97, it looks chunkier, and I dont like how the A-arms arent exposed as much! The 98s though seem to have just about the perfect ZR graphics on them I think.

Ahh but this isnt totally about looks, if we want a looks post wed have to resurect my old poll that I still think holds some kind of record on thise forum, that thing was around for a long time.

But yeah Metallicat, I think the old non-APV 500 is good for about 96 HP. Ive seen dyno reports on that machine (I believe the 99 EFI) with it putting out about 96.1 so the Cat claim was just about correct. The ZR 600 wasnt as impressive putting out about 100-102 as you stated. The old non-valved 600 never amazed me, the ZR 500 and the old 580 had no problem running with the 600 from what I have seen.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My favorite has to be the Freddy, i will allways love this sled since it was my first sled i have owned and with all the money and work i have put into it. the zr 700 just stands out from the other zrs with that freddy engine and it handles diffrent due to the extra weight that motor puts in the front end. next to the freddy my favorite is the 02 800 carbed cce. very nice sled

Here are the pics i have on this comp (other comp blew up :angry_mad: )
[attachment=61011:666_sled.jpg]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts