Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that time of year again! Whats everyone pulling out the safe, closet, mattress, gun rack, etc. this year for venison?

I bought my 300WM a few years ago as an all-round caliber for deer, elk, chucks ( :eek: ), but I'm finding that anything inside of 100 yards is hamburger with this round (no, I haven't tried a barnes, partition or a-frame bullet yet, but plan on loading them).

I'm thinking of using the Marlin 336 30-30 again this season this year for what I'm sure will be another close range shot.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Win. 30-30. I hunt thick woods it's small & light but still never had to track a deer![/b]
I know what you mean. I tried a 220 Swift once off of a bipod. Hit the deer (watched it go down through the scope), but there was absolutely no blood trail to follow. Tried tracking it for hours. Went back the next day to try and find a raven pile. Nothing. Never again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My brother used a 243 or 247 can't remember which for a while & we would always have to track for miles. Luckily we almost always have a little snow not this year just rain I hate this weather. Oh my brother now hunts with a 30-30 also

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mines pretty old too - 1954! Still shoots though. Got it from my dad as well. I'll probably refinish it again and give it to my kids to start hunting with.

I put a Williams aperture sight with a fire sight on the front. A million times better than the old worn out sights there were on it.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
I'm still using old faithful, a Remington 7600 7mm-08. I retired the 760 game master 30/06 when I got the 08 a few years ago, since that was my grandfathers its best in the cabinet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Being from southern Michigan I can not use a rifle by my house so a few years back, for christmas, I got a 50 cal. Knight Muzzelloader. Have not had any luck yet but I still have a lot of hunting seasons left. Good luck to all you guys this year.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
.270 baby...tried and true. Havent ever had to track one yet

·
Registered
711 Posts
Depends where I hunt. Open deer stand Win. 243. Brush, trusty Win. 30-06. I have always gotten my deer. Maybe I am just an excellent shot!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I use a 30-378 weatherby Mag...I always aim for the head no blood trail no tracking

where he was standing is where he's at...By the way I don't use the big Mag to

down the deer I use it because I like the recoil...You can use the 220 swift

on any size deer if you hit him in the head he's going down it's that simple.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If I were home, I would be using my remington 30-06 bolt, I love it with a polimer tipped Remington round. I used to shoot a Marlin 30-30 lever and i loved it for the thick woods on our property up by Mille Lacs, but now my brother shoots it and loves it. my other brother just got a remington 243 bolt but he is afraid to shoot it (Lack of sack) He also thinks big foot is going to attack him in his tree stand. My dad and grandpa both shoot 30-06, dads is a bolt and gramps is a semi auto lol, its a riot when he shoots and everyone knows when he is shooting. My uncle Shoots a 308, so we pretty much have all the rifles covered in our 120 acres lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (canam k @ Nov 20 2009, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I use a 30-378 weatherby Mag...I always aim for the head no blood trail no tracking

on any size deer if you hit him in the head he's going down it's that simple.[/b]
they just made .223 legal last year in Minnesota to deer hunt with

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still using old faithful, a Remington 7600 7mm-08[/b]
I was thinking of one of these for my kids when they get older - or just an excuse to buy another gun! :D

My dad has a 7600 in 308. I used that gun many times before I got my 300.

You can use the 220 swift on any size deer if you hit him in the head he's going down it's that simple.[/b]
Probably a matter of knowing your gun as well. The owner shot a nice doe with the same 220 swift earlier that day (shooting barnes X).

I'm pretty confident with my 300, but it was at the smitty that year (Browning A-Bolt) getting the stock free floated again.

Nice guns guys - hope everyone gets their deer, or at least enjoys trying :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ruger .270. Very good gun, flat shooting with and packs a pucnh.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 19 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (canam k @ Nov 20 2009, 04:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

on any size deer if you hit him in the head he's going down it's that simple.[/b]
they just made .223 legal last year in Minnesota to deer hunt with
[/b][/quote]

Hey DVX...The 223 is a good gun but like I said you gotta go for the head.

By tha way DVX something You would know...The 30-378 I'm using is the

ballistic equal to the 338 Lapua that the sniper boys in your neck of the woods use

for dropping the bad guys.

Stay safe bud.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I envy all who can use a rifle lol, we still have to use shotguns here though. I hunt with my trusty 870 Remington and sometimes my Ruger 44 Mag.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts