Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my studs from Fast-trac this year for my Crossfire. I put 136 studs in. Plenty for a longer track sled. First off these studs are a very nice piece. Finish is great. No bad threads or clogged allen hole like some of the competitors. I did however have a bit of concern about the 80 degree tip and the way the carbide is buried in the tip unlike say a Woody's Gold Digger.

I ran the sled for the first time yesterday. 100% glare ice...like glass. There was almost NO traction. From a dead stop the sled would be all over the place. Even at 70mph the sled would want to get sideways if I opened it up...SCARY STUFF! With the sled sitting stationary the studs just sit on top of the ice. The tips were maybe in less than 1/8". More studs might have even been worse. Like riding on a bed of nails.

My thinking here is once the top of the stud starts to wear some the traction might be better. For now though I'm a nervous wreck on ice. Stopping power is almost nill and it really is VERY scetchy to be on the throttle on glare ice. I don't feel much safer than I would with no studs.

My F7 with 136 megabites and WAYYYYY less scratch lines hooks up 100% perfect after maybe 10 mph or less for reference. Same penetration past the lug.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
My mind is made up. Next track I stud is getting Warthogs. My Woodys have been ok except they seem to bend easy.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
80* tip is basically the same as a non carbide DRAG PICK. 136 of those will give exactly the results your seeing especially on GLARE ICE. The MEGABITES have around a 60* tip with far more surface bite. I've had alot of laker sleds in my day, bare bones minimum amount of pics for glare ice is 240 if you want to hooknbook. The warthogs are a very good stud. Almost indestructable from my experiences with them. BTW... Part of your lack of hockup on ice is the SERIOUS geometry problem with 06 XF's rear skid. Weight transfer of the "out of the crate" factory setup SUCKS.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Melrose, I failed to mention the weight transfer issue correct. We sit sooo far forward on these sleds that I'm certain that has an effect. Still I used to run the 80 degree gold digger in other sleds and they would hook fine with 1 stud per hp...on glare ice. This one is MUCH MUCH worse, therefore the post.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Most (depending on mfr) steel (non carbide) ''drag picks'' are usually in the 30* - 45* area with a super thin profile and a total of 240 will work good together, ,,, but, try this,,, lay on your back with 1000 nails supporting you, then try it with 144,, see (feel) the difference?, if not, the addt'l blood should be a ''dead'' giveaway,, same goes for the 80* studs,, they need less qty of them for penetration as this puts more psi on each individual one,,

ever see those guys on shows splitting blocks on their abs/chest with a thousand nails?? pull out even 30% of those nails,, then call an ambulance with life support, they're gonna' need it

simply put, Chris's studs are too blunt right out of the pkg from addt'l metal surrounding the insert,, good qty he chose with hp/weight ratio,, just blunt as hell studs,,,,,, use 40* modified gold diggers w/136 qty and see that thing hook/stop/corner (just keep 'em off the roads/dirt slaphappy)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
simply put, Chris's studs are too blunt right out of the pkg from addt'l metal surrounding the insert,, good qty he chose with hp/weight ratio,, just blunt as hell studs,,,,,, use 45* modified gold diggers w/136 qty and see that thing hook/stop/corner (just keep 'em off the roads/dirt[/b]
Correct. Have a bud with 120 in his 600HO fusion and he can't stop spinning either. I am confident they will get better worn in a bit...if we ever get snow!

I work with a former NSSR speed runner and former wold record holder for 1000' speed runs that ran 114+ on a 94 thundercat. That sled ran 120 needles for 1000'....not many studs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts