Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i have a few questions i hope you can help me with. I have an 07 trv 400 that i recently tore down to put some new parts on, i noticed that my cooling fan was fully encased with mud and couldnt turn. after i cleaned it i applied power to it and it just buzzedand still wouldn't turn . I replaced it and checked all the fuses, but i still havn't heard my new fan kick on yet. Is there another fuse or diode somewhere that i need to replace, or check. I have also thought about wiring it up on a toogle switch, is this a bad idea or have some of you done this also??I dunno

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wired my fan to a toggle switch, and I prefer it, gonna add a temp gauge this spring so I know when it NEEDS to be on. Gotta rewire it a bit just to resolve some issues as I was doing just temporary.

As for the direct issue...I dunno!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i went ahead and wired the fan up on a toogle switch today, my only remaining question is that since i cant really put a temp gauge on it since its oil cooled. How much should i run the fan, about 90 percent of the trails i ride i am crawling around 15mph, i would like to just turn the fan on and leave it, but i dnt want to replace fan motors once a month either lol. So should i just turn it on every few miles or just leave it on?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't get too worried about having it on all the time....I barely run mine and have no issues. Mine is water cooled though! I am adding the temp gauge to better monitor the system mainly!

Before you tore it down to find the fan was plugged with mud and inoperable, did you have overheating problems?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were a couple of times when it got kinda sluggish like it was running hot. Shortly after that it starting smoking really bad, and using alot of oil.. It ended up seizing up and i had to rebuild the top end. Thats why i am trying to make sure it runs alot cooler now..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Kartl im sorry i didnt think to take any pics along the way. But all i did was run a wire from a 12 volt source with the key on, to a waterproof toogle switch that i mounted on my gauge pod. Then i ran a wire from the toogle switch to the power wire going to the fan motor, i didnt cut the wire i just spliced into it. That way the fan can still cut on by itself or i can cut it on when i want to..

·
Registered
61 Posts
There were a couple of times when it got kinda sluggish like it was running hot. Shortly after that it starting smoking really bad, and using alot of oil.. It ended up seizing up and i had to rebuild the top end. Thats why i am trying to make sure it runs alot cooler now..

This unit is air/oil cooled if I remember reading that? If so there are "T" adapters to put on your oil cooler line to instal a temp gauge!

What oil you running? Just curious...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks dodgeguy i never thought of that for some reason lol.. I am running 10w40 pennzoil, thats what the guy i bought it from was running so i stayed with it, since i get it free from work

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Your oil must be wet clutch rated and at the very least have no friction modifiers. You have an internal wet clutch that is bathed in oil. Wrong oil = bad wet clutch

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Lol no I would say your good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys as my post says i have installed a new fan motor and wired it on a toogle switch. Now i have a new issue, i went mud riding last weekend, none of the holes were completly over the headlights but were over the fan im sure. Well i went trail riding today and went to turn the fan on and nothing. its locked up. So my question is to those of you that ride in water alot, how do you keep your fan from locking up???

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Clean it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope brand new fan, the fan trys to work it just sits there and kinda quivers, i unhooked it and tryed to spin it by hand and its very hard to turn, i kept turning it and it finally freed up and works now but sounds horrible. I dnt want to have to do that after every ride lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brand new fan???? WARRANTY return it man, I actually had to exchange a simple spark plug as it was pooched out of the box!! lol

How much did you run the fan, just curious...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts